Can't see my WD WB over the network

A while back I took out my hard drive from my WD World Book case (white light) and re-formatted it just as a regular HD. I decided I want to put it back together now but when I plug it in all that happens is the top and bottom lights just stay on and I can’t find it on the network or discover it with the software. I would really appreciate any help I can’t get here. Thanks Shedrock

Hi there!!

I don’t think that putting the drive back to the case will be enough… What if you format it to the original file system the MyBook World uses, which is EXT3 and THEN putting the drive back? If not, is the MBW at least allowing you to go into the configuration page to try a factory reset?

Otherwise, it may no longer work using the original case and you may need a 3rd party case to have the drive working as a NAS once more…

Best of luck!

I will have to try using gparted to create that file system because I used NTFS when I reformatted it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Shedrock

Well, tried formatting  it with EXT3 but still no luck

Anyone?

There is no way to recover the OS on a WD Network Drive once you have formatted the drive. You will need to check your warranty and see if you can RMA the unit.

Laura_F wrote:

There is no way to recover the OS on a WD Network Drive once you have formatted the drive. You will need to RMA the unit.

When you say “There is no way to recover the OS on a WD Network Drive once you have formatted the drive”, do you mean formatting it outside of the WD enclisure?

Additional question:  I have the My MBW II (white light). Are you saying that if I remove BOTH drives, at the same time, and replace them with WD replacement drives, that I will not have full functionality of the NAS? Does this mean that the NAS Operating System is on the hard drives?

The drive’s OS is all contained on the drives. Formatting the drives outside the enclosure renders the entire unit useless. This means if you take the drive out of the WD enclosure and plug it into a PC or external USB enclosure and format it, it will no longer be functional as a WD Network Drive. The exception to this is the WD Sharespace, which will reinstall the OS if all the drives are 0’d out. Since this posting is in regards to the WD My Book World (White Light), the only option to recover your NAS device is to check your warranty to see if you can get it RMA’d.

Laura_F wrote:

The drive’s OS is all contained on the drives. Formatting the drives outside the enclosure renders the entire unit useless. This means if you take the drive out of the WD enclosure and plug it into a PC or external USB enclosure and format it, it will no longer be functional as a WD Network Drive. The exception to this is the WD Sharespace, which will reinstall the OS if all the drives are 0’d out. Since this posting is in regards to the WD My Book World (White Light), the only option to recover your NAS device is to check your warranty to see if you can get it RMA’d.

If the WD My Book World (White Light) is run in RADI 1 mode, and one of the drives is removed, overwrtiien with zeros, and then put back in the WD case, will the wiped drive be rebuilt, and as a result, the OS will be installed on it again, restoring full functionality to the NAS?