Can't see .iso files

I use DVD Fab 8 to burn DVD’s to my hard drive. I almost always choose main movie only and get multiple .vob files that seem to play fine with the WD Live. I just hit play on the video_ts folder and deal with the pausing between files. I hear the WD Live plays .iso files with DVD menu support so I tried to burn the entire disk to a .iso file. The problem is I can’t get my WD Live to see the .iso file. I can see everything else (other movie folders with .vob files) but not the .iso file.

I’m using TVersity free edition as my media server.

Any sugestions?

Thanks.

if you use your live through a media server like TVersity, twonky or media player, then the wd tv sees what the server sends it to see. iso is not a video file format so  the media server doesn’t sent it to wd. If that is the case try to access the iso via network share. The wd tv will show you every format it can play including iso files.

George

Actually, if you put the VOBs in a VIDEO_TS folder there are no pauses during playback.

geopapas wrote:

if you use your live through a media server like TVersity, twonky or media player, then the wd tv sees what the server sends it to see. iso is not a video file format so  the media server doesn’t sent it to wd. If that is the case try to access the iso via network share. The wd tv will show you every format it can play including iso files.

Thanks! That worked perfectly. I burned the full DVD into an .iso file and it played well using a network share. It’s nice to have menus and seems to work the same as a DVD player. I’ll just need to wait and see if it performes well with heavy network traffic in my house. Everything is wired including the WD back to a central switch.  My wife is surprised it actually works!! It’s been a running joke in our household that we can’t watch a complete movie without something freezing or locking up. I think they are finally trusting this player more.

Peter

Techflaws wrote:

Actually, if you put the VOBs in a VIDEO_TS folder there are no pauses during playback.

When DVDFab burns the movie it already puts the VOB’s into a VIDEO_TS folder. Thats the one TVersity sees and also the one I press play to. It still pauses. Am I doing something wrong? We were just watching Avatar yesterday. It paused between all 7 vob folders. For some reason the WD locked up at the last and 7th vob. I reset and then it played after manually selecting it.

Peter

Don’t press PLAY.  Press ENTER.

If I press enter it opens the folder and shows all the files. Then highlighting the file and then enter will only play the 22 min. file.

Peter

There must be something wrong with your rips. There should be no pauses if you rip the whole of the DVD to a VIDEO_TS folder. If you enter and play any file you should get no pauses and a DVD menu. If you press play on the VIDEO_TS folder you should also get no pauses but no DVD menu and only the main flim.

Of course if you are playing via a media server you may get completely different results, like the pauses you mentioned. If you play via network shares then you should get what I outlined above. Saying all that .iso is the way to go.

I’ll try it with network shares and see if I get something different. YEs, I think your correct in saying .iso is the way to go. Thanks.

Peter

I have a similar issue. My WD media player will no longer play my iso files. I am playing them from a usb drive. Suggestions?

Convert DVD to MKV instead of ISO- you’ll lose menus but not chapters- press option to select any chapter you’d like to play with, and all audios and subtitles.  And you have only ONE file instead of lots of VOB clips. It doesn’ta take longer than burning DVD ISO. 10 minutes or so for a DVD.  Find a guide here . :smiley:

Anime_fan wrote:

Convert DVD to MKV instead of ISO- you’ll lose menus but not chapters- press option to select any chapter you’d like to play with, and all audios and subtitles.  And you have only ONE file instead of lots of VOB clips. It doesn’ta take longer than burning DVD ISO. 10 minutes or so for a DVD.  Find a guide here . :smiley:

With an iso there are no vob clips and it is one file.

Also despite being the same images internal subs are messed up in MKVs but not VOBs/ISOs.

Messed up in what way, Tech? I’ve seen ONE problem in around 100 DVD’s?

Cocovanna

Check out his “Persistent Subtitle Issues” sticky.

I haven’t encountered any issues EXCEPT the lack of an OUTLINE in most of my DVD->MKV rips.  But a lot of people have completely TRANSPARENT subtitles with ONLY an outline, etc.

The suspected reason is that in MKV files, the VobSub color pallette is incorrectly interpreted in some cases.

True, but IF you keep the subs in external files and IF you stick to VOB/SUB, then there is no transparency problem :slight_smile: But, I have tested this for files on local (USB) disks only. I must admit it is a great improvement to get the outline back!

Cocovanna