Cant Rewind or FF MKV movies on Tv Live Hub

First Time Blu Ray Ripper here and hoping someone could help.

I had purchased the WD TV Live Hub last week because a freind of mine had shown me his media player with many ripped DVDs.  I own mostly Blu Rays and wanted to rip them onto my media player.  I know there are many ripper programs that are out there, but, no matter which one I use, I never could fast forward or rewind the MKV ripped movie.  The picture is great and the audio is fine, but its very inconvenient when you cant even pause a movie to take a leak.  I have tried DVDFAB, MakeMKV, Pavtube Blue Ray Ripper and Leawo Blu Ray Ripper.  I also tried to use Bytecopy, but, everytime I tried to reip a blue ray, it said the file size was over 25 gigs and the rip time would be close to 36 hrs.  I admit, I have an older PC, but, that really shouldnt be the issue right?  All of them could rip the whole movie with no problem, but still the same outcome.  No way to control the movie while it is playing.  Can anyone suggest a better One Stop program or guide me with the next step that I may be missing.  I have seen in other posts that people have used MKVMERGE and HANDBRAKE, but, after opeing those programs, I dont even know where to start.  Please help.

One last thing, I landed up paying for the Leawo Blu Ray ripper after usiing the trial that rips just a 5 minute clip.  WHen I test it on the media player, it did everything, FF, rewind, pause.  I then thought I found the right program, but then when I did the whole movie, back to square one.  No contol again.  I just dont get it.

Thanks in advance.

Wow.  That’s weird.  

I use DVD Fab BluRay exclusively (bought a lifetime license).

I just rip the whole BD to folder structure, and then go find the main movie file (usually the largest TS file in the STREAM folder) and just copy that over as-is – done.

No further processing.

If it’s a branched playlist, then I use TS Muxer to re-combine the TS files in the correct order into a separate TS file.

If I *really* want to save space and re-compress it, I use Handbrake with the High Profile preset and it usually will shrink it 50-75%.

I use PavTube ByteCopy exclusively for my BD rips and have zero issues like you describe. Yes, the file sizes can be large, but you can change that in the settings. A full-rez BD rip takes my laptop about 90 minutes for a 2 hour movie. Granted, it has an i7 processor and 8gb of RAM, but 36 hours is ridiculous. And I can Pause, FF, REW my MKVs without issue. Something else is at play in your situation. Are you ripping just the main movie entry in the folder tree? The default setting checks every box. Since menus are not supported on BD rips I discard all but the main movie.

Tony, I have used DVDFAB and am told its a great program with great supposrt like WD. I want to try it again and use it exactly as you described. Let me first tell you how I was doing it. First, using mkv, the output file was called REMUX mkv. I know there is another H264 or something like that as well. Then I check of the HD audio box because I know the Hub does not support that. Then I just check off the largest file in the folder. all the other ones are NOT checked. Last, I press START and about 2 hrs later, I have an MKV file. The folder usually contains 3 files in the end. 2 small once and one 4GIG large file which is the move. I have the file going to a 2.0 USB 32Gig keychain. Then connect to my hub and it automatically transfers the movie. Then I play the move and that is all I could do. Always have to start from the beginning every time. One term I am not familiar with is TS file. Is that the folder of chapters and full movie, etc? Please explain. thanks again in advance. Raul

Hi Miami, Thanks for the reply as well. When I used Bytecopy, I only checked off the large movie file out of the folder. Then, I only check off English for the subtitle. I then click on a button towards the right had side on the top to choose my TV Live Hub media player and press start. That is when I get the huge approx size of the file saying 25 Plus Gigs and a time of 36 Plus hrs. If there are settings I need to change, what do you suggest? I would like to keep my options open with Bytecopy as well. thanks, Raul

TS files are the filetype that is native to Blu-ray.

Thank you Tony. But from what you can see on how I process it. Do you think it is correct and you are doing it the same way?

I’m not doing any of that.   As I mentioned before, I just pull the primary TS file As-Is from the rip and use that for playback.

I get it. So you rip the whole BD with everything checked and then pull the largest file into the media player. I will give it a shot.

Thanks again!!

Toror21 wrote:
I get it. So you rip the whole BD with everything checked 

I just do a full BD rip – period.  No MKV conversion – no nothing.  Just a flat rip.

Gotcha. And what would you say is the avg file size for the movie?

Anywhere from 20 to 35 gigabytes…

Do you let it proceed or do you cancel it when you see that ridiculous time estimate? It usually takes 30-40 seconds for the actual conversion to start and for the time and size estimate of the completed file to become more accurate. You can reduce the final file size by changing some of the options before you start the conversion, but I like to get a lossless MKV that is equal to the original BD disc in quality, so I don’t mind the large files.

Toror21 wrote:
Hi Miami, Thanks for the reply as well. When I used Bytecopy, I only checked off the large movie file out of the folder. Then, I only check off English for the subtitle. I then click on a button towards the right had side on the top to choose my TV Live Hub media player and press start. That is when I get the huge approx size of the file saying 25 Plus Gigs and a time of 36 Plus hrs. If there are settings I need to change, what do you suggest? I would like to keep my options open with Bytecopy as well. thanks, Raul

Thanks again to both of you. Using my existing Leawo Blu Ray Ripper. I ripped the BD into a h264 HD.TS file and then ran the file through Handbrake. I now have an hr and a half movie with great picture and sound using 8 gigs of space converted into MKV. Playback is perfect with ff, RW, and pause.

Happy Turkey Day!!