Can't Restore Windows 7 on Dell Precision M6500

I am trying to restore the C (Windows system and boot drive) from a DX4000 to a Dell Precision M6500 laptop. I got the USB drive created on the DX4000 ok, and the laptop starts booting from the USB key ok. But after the WinRE environment has loaded, the following error dialogue is displayed:

RestoreCDInit.exe - Application Error
Windows cannot continue from this exception,
(0xc0000025) occurred in the application at location 0x00b30229.

Click on OK to terminate the program.

I am unable proceed with the restore after encountering that error. I found another thread in this forum where another user was having the same problem, also with a Dell laptop. He was eventually able to work around the problem, but it is very unclear what he did that actually made it work.

Another user in that thread suggested running ClientRestoreWizard.exe from the USB stick on another machine, with the drive from the machine to be restored temporarily attached as an external drive. However, as far as I can tell, the program won’t let you do that for drive C, only for other, non-boot drives.

Information in the other thread suggested that this problem may have been related to a UEFI BIOS, and that user did have the option to boot from UEFI in his BIOS setup. However, I do not see a similar option on my system.

Can anyone help? Having a backup doesn’t do much good if you can’t restore from it, and this is killing me right now…

I also had issues recovering from DX4000 to a HP Spectre notebook (which luckily I tried before having real need). My impression is that the recovery USB is simply too old for most modern computer and I am now using software like Acronis saving on the NAS instead of using the DX4000 backup tool (of course with some additional cost for the additional sw)