Can't play BD iso menu

Hi,

I trying to paly a BD 3d iso movie,but it won’t play the menu from the iso file and i can’t select the 3d option from the menu to play a movie.Is the western digital live hub supports BD menus?If anyone have solution for that it would be great.That is only  missing option from the player,but is very important.

I tested on DVD iso files and it works ok.The menu shows and all works perfect.The problem is in BD iso menus.

The hub doesn’t support BD iso menus, but it can play the movie itself, however I’m not sure it will play 3D movies.

I know that it can play movie in 2D,but the problem is that all the 3D movies are in ISO format and if you want to play the 3D version of the movie you must select it from the BD disc menu.So it can read and show the BD menu it will be the perfect palyer.And i think it can play 3d,becouse it has hdmi 1.4a.Also i have allreay 3d tv so is not problem for me to watch 3d.The problem is that the hub noe shows BD menus.If that can be integrated in the future firmware updated it would be great.

There’s no hardware support on any of the Live units for for BD-J (Blu-ray Disc Java), so no;  there won’t be any firmware updates adding support for BD ISO menus.  It requires a completely different Sigma chip, unfortunately.

gorila8577 wrote:

I know that it can play movie in 2D,but the problem is that all the 3D movies are in ISO format and if you want to play the 3D version of the movie you must select it from the BD disc menu.So it can read and show the BD menu it will be the perfect palyer.And i think it can play 3d,becouse it has hdmi 1.4a.Also i have allreay 3d tv so is not problem for me to watch 3d.The problem is that the hub noe shows BD menus.If that can be integrated in the future firmware updated it would be great.

No, support for 3D is HARDWARE based.    The menu option simply enables that or disables it.

I have a BD that is ONLY 3D; there is no menu option to enable / disable 3D.  (the 2D version is on a separate disc.)

The Hub does not support FRAME-PACKED BD transports.   As far as I know, NO media streamer does.

I know is hardware based.I can play the video from the iso file but is only in 2d format not in 3d.I need to see the side by side screens on my tv the rest is encoded by the TV.So the question is wht i can’t see the side by side pictures from the hub?And i have one more question.When i play a BD movie with DTS HD MA sound i see it on my receiver like DTS.And i have Harman Kardon 760 receiver wich is palying all dts formats.Is the problem is from player.Also i use high quality hdmi 1.4a ethernet cables.

gorila8577 wrote:

When i play a BD movie with DTS HD MA sound i see it on my receiver like DTS.And i have Harman Kardon 760 receiver wich is palying all dts formats.Is the problem is from player.Also i use high quality hdmi 1.4a ethernet cables.

The WD TV Live range don’t currently support DTS-HD MA.   They extract the DTS core and output that instead.

The issue is with WD being unable to obtain a suitable DTS license.

WD should give Syabas, D-Link, Xtreamer or Netgear a call, since all those companies have established media players on the market that can bitstream DTS-HD MA.  

So can we expect soon update for DTS-HD MA support?

Thanks for all your help and support.

gorila8577 wrote:

So can we expect soon update for DTS-HD MA support?

Thanks for all your help and support.

Heh, I wish I was giving you good news… so far, it’s all been kinda bad!  :)

WD don’t make any announcements about new features ahead of time but my gut feeling on DTS-HD MA is that we won’t be getting it any time soon, if at all.

WD’s official position on it can be read in the ideas forum:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Ideas/HD-Audio-Support/idi-p/92

In a nutshell, because they are unable to get a license from DTS, they won’t implement it, even though competitors have done so (seemingly without a license, since DTS says there isn’t one available).

3D blurays don’t contain a side-by-side stream, this is mostly used by tv-stations,

done so to be able to use the existing broadcasting standards, and let consumers use existing TV-tuners/STBs.

So if i undertsand correct if the dts company give license for DTS HD MA to WD that can be integrated without a problem with new firmware upgrade.

gorila8577 wrote:

So if i undertsand correct if the dts company give license for DTS HD MA to WD that can be integrated without a problem with new firmware upgrade.

Yup, that’s the situation.  :)

and what about that opinion.Is it true?

I don’t accept the “licensing restrictions” excuse -something else must be at the root of this issue.

Licensing costs associated with ANY codec (video or audio) are triggered or incurred when the codec is decoded. The WD Live should not be decoding any audio, but “bitstreaming” it via HDMI to the actual decoders in our TV’s or Receivers.

If the WD Live did actually bitstream the audio through to our receivers or televisions, then no DTS licensing would be required. Unfortunately the current live FW does seem to interact with the audio stream to some degree. As proven by the striping of the “HD” differential stream form the core DTS stream. All WD needs to do is add some sort of audio “passthrough” option so we can all enjoy unaltered audio as it was intended. My device seems to have no problem passing through (bitstreaming) the Dolby TrueHD equivalent to DTS-HD. Since there is no Dolby TrueHD logo on the box, we can be sure that no licensee fee was paid to Mr… Dolby -yet it works… Dolby TruHD is a single cohesive audio stream, while DTS-HD is actually a combination of two streams, the core plus HD extensions. This is probably  where the WD Live has messed up. For some reason the HD extensions are being dropped rather than passed through…

WD, give us the ability to “pass-through” all audio codecs to our own decoders and DAC’s…

Another opinion:

WD TV Live should support DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD pass through to your A/V receiver for MKV and m2ts files. Other players on the market already do it, so why not WD which is a way bigger company. As others said, licensing costs are only for decoding, which most people looking for HD audio already have an A/V receiver for this purpose. Just add support for DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD pass through via a firmware update please. It would be greatly appreciated.

I don’t need Wd live hub to make encodind.The receiver do that.Or i’m mistaking.

We need DTS-HD MA pass through to be integrated in WD live hub and is not about the license rights.Please correct me if i’m mistaking.

You’re not mistaken and I agree with you 100%.

We’ve tried that line of argument with some of the WD staff that post here (that bitstreaming shouldn’t require any license) and they pretty much just shrugged it off.

The big corporation mentality seems to be a that a license MUST be required.  I’m pretty sure the firmware guys would just go ahead and do it but management is likely blocking it.

We just need to keep pestering them about it or, if that fails, find a competing product that meets our needs.

It’s absurd that none of WD’s “HD” Media Players support the most popular HD audio format.  

Yes indeed.If Wd want to be on top they must made support for DTS-HD MA sound.Most of us have allready expensive equipement and we all need that codec to be integrated.Most of the blu-ray movies have DTS-HD MA sound.Most of the players have allready support for DTS-HD audio pass-through.

I couldn’t agree more with those in this thread about how disappointing it is not to have the ability to play BD ISO or enjoy the Hi Def sound codecs on my high end A/V.  I’m going to make a stop later today at Fry’s to take a look at the Netgear NeoTV 550 Media Player which does seem to satisfy all of the above and at less cost.