Cant play any media after 4 to 20 minutes when connected to network

my WDTV LIve works great as a stand alone product,  but connecting it to the network, ether via ethernet or wireless, results in a “media player” that can’t play media! After a couple of short videos on you tube, or a TV episode from my media player I can still browse the listings on my media server, or Youtube or even my local USB hard drive,  but NO media will play, so streaming audio, or video, even from the local USB drive.

I have had my first WDTV replaced for this issue,  the replacement did the same thing.

I have tried all available firmware,  same thing. (even home-brew,  I’mm desperate!)

Altho I don’t use Windows, I have made sure that any device on my network that can have a workgroup setting is using “WORKGROUP”,   same thing.

WHAT IS GOING ON!

I don’t have the receipt from best buy any more,  wonder if I can still return it.

I can’t be the only one with this problem!,  especially with 2 units failing in the SAME way!   I could really use some help here!

New development:

Now,  when playing a video, once the video is started, it can not be controled, stoped, paused, etc.   you can press the back arrow to go back to the menu of videos,  but the audio keeps playing!   then if you select another video,  you go back to the first one (still playing) with the blue ring super imposed over it.  once the video finishes, you are at a black screen with a blue ring for ever.   and again, you can navigate away from the ring,  BUT no new video will play.

I’ve heard of those issues with DLNA services, but not with Local Media or Network Shares…

I have found the “cause” but not the solution.

I have several IP cameras on my network, and one of them,  a chinese pan/tilt camera.  when that camera is connected and on, it knocks out the WDTV!   I don’t  pretend to understand why this might be,  but the relationship is definitive.

nbJosh, some things that come to mind:

• Conflicting IP address assignment

• Too much network traffic for the PC to manage Camera Streams and Video Streams simultaneously

• Gremlins

it’s not conflicting IP addresses,  static IP on the cam,  router reserved IP for the WDTV

it’s not bandwidth,  as the camera is not being accessed at the time.

therefore it must be gremlins.

The odds of an issue like this occuring on two seperate devices is VERY small. I would try it on a friends network to see if the same issue occurs - if it doesn’t than you know it’s something else to do with your setup. Try replacing the Router first, and if your connected with wireless try connecting wired (or vice versa). The key to any kind of technical issue is to narrow down the cause and focus on it. You’ve ruled out the device itself by replacing it - a good first step. Now you need to do the same with the rest of the network.

as I mentioned …

Ardvark wrote:

The odds of an issue like this occuring on two seperate devices is VERY small. I would try it on a friends network to see if the same issue occurs - if it doesn’t than you know it’s something else to do with your setup. Try replacing the Router first, and if your connected with wireless try connecting wired (or vice versa). The key to any kind of technical issue is to narrow down the cause and focus on it. You’ve ruled out the device itself by replacing it - a good first step. Now you need to do the same with the rest of the network.

I have found the “cause” but not the solution.

I have several IP cameras on my network, and one of them,  a chinese pan/tilt camera.  when that camera is connected and on, it knocks out the WDTV!   I don’t  pretend to understand why this might be,  but the relationship is definitive.

Can you post the make/model of the camera?   

it’s a camera like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wireless-IP-Webcam-Camera-Night-Vision-Wifi-Cam-11-LED-/130403918587?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e5cade2fb#ht_5018wt_1139

I have the same issue.  It started after the last upgrade by WD.

I do have a wireless camera but I did not think this had anything to do with it.

I will shut it off and see if it helps.

What happens is exactly what is mentioned.

I have a linksys wireless router and I am connected via ethernet connection on WDTV.

I have a linksys NAS box with my media on it and it is running a Media Hub service.

It all worked fin until recently.

Now I get a circle in the middle of the screen like it is loading a file when I fast forward, pause, rewind, anything.

If I play a file, I cannot play a second file unless I unplug the WD TV LIVE box and plug it back in.

I basically can play one show at a time and then I have to reboot and I cannot do anything while it is running or the circle in the middle of the screen shows up.

As I said this is a new thing that happened recently. 

A month ago it worked fine.

I have an Asus O!Play  Media player on my back TV and it does not have this problem.

It works fine.  I do not believe it is a camera or network traffic or anything like that…

This is a new problem that started happening to the WD TV LIVE box only –

As I said my other media player attaches and plays everything fine.

Finally,  someone else with the same issue… sorry your having the same problem,  But at least I’mm not completely nuts!

I am sure it’'s not a “traffic volume” sort of thing with the camera,  as no one else has access to the camera, and I am not connected to it at the time.  but there must be some sort of MJPEG service announcement that the camera is making that is causing the media player software on the WDTV to become unresponsive or disconnected from the UI.

I was out of town so I have not had a chance to play with it…

But I doubt the wireless camera has anything to do with it.

I will unplug my wireless camera, as well as my Sonos Player, as well as my other media box – thereby leaving any multimedia type of application OFF and see if it makes a difference.

Then I will report back.

I turned off my camera and then rebooted the WD Live Box. When I turned it back on it seemed to work fine for some time. I paused, forward, stopped and started multiple videos.  I then watched a movie for about 5 minutes, I fast forwarded to a place that I had been watching before. Then I watched for a few minutes. I stopped the movie and tried to start another movie.  The first movie kept playing and I could not stop or fast forward or do anything.

The camera is not the issue.  I am unplugging other devices one at a time and testing.

I also have another WD TV LIVE and was going to test if that got the same results.

I have turned off everything and it still happens.

It does not happen to my other media player.

I have a 2nd WD HD LIVE unit and am about to test that.

I think it is an incompatibility between the WD HD LIVE box and my Linksys MediaHUB.

I am about to see if there is an update from Linksys on the Media Server software.

Once I make sure I have the right code level on the linksys and have tried the other WD HD LIVE, then I will know if it happens on that box as well that there is an incompatibility.

I think I might have figured it out.

I have a series of gigabit switches throughout my house.

They all tie into another gigabit switch which then ties into my linksys router and out to the internet via cable modem.

I moved the WD TV Live box and the Linksys media box to the same gigabit switch.

It worked. So far with my testing, I have had no issues and the box works perfectly.

The issue must have been latency between the switches.

Right now, with they both being on the same switch, they do not have to go to the main switch or through the linksys router, they can directly talk to eachother lowering the latency issue.

Why this manifests itself by continuing to play – not letting you stop, FF, or rewind – I have no idea.

I never had any blocking issues and I would thing with HD video it would have blocking or crashing.

The files never crashed and I never had any issue other than it not releasing the file and continuing to play it back until I unplugged the box.

I have been running for an hour now, stopping and starting, FF, Rewind, changing movies from one folder to another – no issues at all…

Hope this helps with others who have the same issue.