Can't map Mycloud in Mac Os Big Sur

I just spent 2hrs on a chat with customer service. Unable to map Mycloud to my Mac. I can get there via WD Discovery or online, but cannot map it.
I have my WD Passport mapped as a drive and like the way it works. I think mapping works ok on a PC, but not the Mac.

I’m trying to connect to the server using smb://mycloud-xxxxx.local
It fails as both registered user and guest.

Any ideas?

Dear Brett1,

Please see the following article:

My Cloud Home Public Share Access on macOS Computer Using CIFS
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30614

In other words, “We called it Mycloud, but it’s really only meant to be used for Windows Backup.” It should have been named “MyWindowsBackup” instead.
And, it doesn’t answer the question. I was able to store years worth of files on the drive, and now am being told, it wasn’t meant for that.
I just want to know how to get the files off.
I’ll worry about whether to ever trust WD for storage again afterwards.

Part of the reason that WD Discovery could no longer be supported on the desktop is the constant change in Apple’s SMB code base and lack of support from Apple. It is not just WD, but all other NAS has the same problem trying to support Apple, a $3 trillion dollar company that can’t maintain a server communication standard going back 40 years. Linux and Microsoft and even Google which hardly does anything SMB could maintain compatibility.

If it weren’t for Apple’s lack of support of SMB, it is probable that WD Discovery would have continued to be supported by WD, at least for a while longer.

Testing Big Sur
Eventually, a (Apple) “Senior Advisor” acknowledged the issue could be with macOS, submitted logs from two Macs, and I waited a week for a response from “Engineers.” During the wait, I created a new APFS container and started testing SMB support in Big Sur. I tested SMB shares in a few of the different betas after they were released. Beta 7 disabled SMB entirely, Beta 8 enabled it again, skipped Beta 9, and then found Beta 10 had disabled SMB again. I shared this information with the “Senior Advisor” but eventually “Engineers” came back and said it wasn’t supported.

Your best bet is to use the USB port to backup what you have on the My Cloud Home.

The other choice is to pull out the old Windows desktop or laptop and back up the MCH before selling or disposing it.

I can’t see the folder contents any longer. I’m logged in, and can see the top folders, but can’t open the one I want.
I’ll try bringing my work laptop home and see if that works.