Cant log into MyBook World Anymore with Mac OSX Lion

Good news! Apple have posted a KB article on this very issue: Lion Server: Connecting to legacy AFP service

Although the title says ‘Server’, the page states that Lion Client will also work as well.

It seems like a copy and paste (almost) of the previous suggestion earlier in the thread. Also, @AppleSupportRSS on twitter was how I found out about it.

-timeimp

1 Like

I have the same problem… I installed Lion OSX yesterday and I can’t connect to my World Edition II Network Storage… I have there all my projects, my music , my textures everything… I need to work… Don’t tell me that I have to “bypass” this issue like this, writting on my own the code ? Isn’t there any fix by Western Digital ?

Apple says that this “type” of communication is old and unsecure… So after this statement I don’t think that this work arround is the “by the book” way ? Should WD provide ASAP an update ?

Thank you in advance for your time

Can anyone help out with the Apple Support workaround? I’ve run the code in Terminal but still can only log onto my drive as a guest, I really need to get access as an admin, let alone the 2nd issue of the Time Machine back-up

Thanks

This workaround doesn’t help with Time Machine logins.

I went through the process described in the Apple article, tried to connect to the old backup by logging in a wd_backups, and got the same error.

finally got the workaround working…

Is that working with Time Machine as well? If so, would you mind sharing how you got it working? Thanks! :slight_smile:

How about this for a workaround :

Does anyone want to buy my 1 TB MyBook World? It’s been nothing but trouble and this latest failing is the last one I will tolerate. I have NO access to any of my data; I’m going to buy Time Capsule. 

I doubt anyone from WD reads these, and if they do I doubt it matters, but this product – to me – is a clear example of why I should have spent the extra bucks for an Apple product to begin with. I am not a Windows, Dos or Linux person, nor do I wish to be. I am an Apple person, where things just work.

So, so long, Western Digital. And, seriously, if anyone wants my drive, let me know. Right now it’s little more than a shiny white paperweight.

If you have a cord USB to HD cord and connect the drive inside your device directly to Lion, will Lion see the Time Machine Backup?

Yes it’s working with TM also. But the solution provided on the apple pages have to be slightly modified to work with it.

It means, instead of:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleShareClient afp_disabled_uams -array “Cleartxt Passwrd” “MS2.0” “2-Way Randnum exchange”

use:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleShareClient afp_disabled_uams -array

command above will write empty array, so at the and all uams will be allowed.

HTH.

So annoying admin access to my drive but no TM still the AFP error. Any ideas?

I did a test.  I hooked up the WD Drive via USB to my Lion Machine.  With no luck.  It said the disk is not recognized to initialize, ignore or eject.  So I have to wait on Western Digital.  No luck with the Terminal workarounds either.

WD has done one update, hopefully they will update us soon!

Not sure whether this has been posted in this thread before, but here is a fix for those who are familiar with the command line. It’s very easy, just be very careful if you’re not familiar with the command line. This updates Netatalk to a version supported by Lion, so that MyBook World is fully functional again. 

Since the new version is installed on a different location, and does not overwrite the current version of Netatalk, I’d say it’s a pretty safe thing to do while waiting for them to update the firmware. I guess this should not create any problem to the official firmware update, but I don’t care, as long as I get it working, one way or another. 

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Wow that looks very involved to a complete novice like myself. Wonder how long the firmware upgrade will be?

This worked for me, though it doesn’t solve the Time Machine issue as far as I know.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2686/p/228,209,263/

Tried the script solution but it could not access the file/didn’t have permission.

WD, any ideas on when we can expect a firmware update?  Right now, the device just takes up space.

Still waiting for the update!

I don’t think anyone form WD is reading this community, they did it just for us to hope that there is an update !! this is so sad…I cant access my data for 2 weeks now ;-( 

One month without iTunes & iPhoto locked in a Time Machine back on on my drive.  HURRY UP WD!