Cant log in?!

i have had this thing for like 3 hours and i cant figure out how to log in! i have set the password which i know i have set the admin password which i know but in windows exploerer under network, i see it there i click open and it asks for user name i put in admin and then the password i set and it says its incorrect! i made a new user did the same thing, STILL DIDNT WORK. made sure i did it in the right domain. STILL DIDNT WORK enabled ft STILL DIDNT WORK. this doesnt make sense to me! how do i access my files??? i have the programs installed, and the only way i can access it is through WD2go and when i open up the public share in explorer its super slow! and when i do it on my ipod its fast! this doesnt make sense! cant i just open it up in network and transfer files at a faster speed than 1bit a second??? Please help! i dont want to have wasted $100! 

I encountered the same problem.

The setup mapped a network driver Public in win7 explorer and I can access the folder directly. BUT…

Then I created a folder named “Private” from web manage page and assigned admin permission to it, when I access the network driver \MyBookLive\Privatein explorer, a log in window pops up. I inputted the ID “admin” and the password which I set , but failed.

I wonder if the password is that one to access web manage page? Why I can’t access the network driver in win7 explorer?

archiz:   You cannot log into a PUBLIC share, and then access a PRIVATE share that requires diferent credentials.

That is a Microsoft limitation.

You need to LOG OUT of ALL the shares, then log into the PRIVATE share first, then log into the PUBLIC share.

No other operating system has this limitation — only Microsoft.

k so i have to make a private share now? alright. but also, wd smart ware isnt recognizing that my drive is on the network! only my local hard drive in my computer! plz help

Baruch:  I wasn’t responding to you, I was responding to the other poster.  I don’t know what is causing your issues.

aww great. so i still have an issue. someone please help!

Tony’s right.  It may also be the same issue for you too.  If the Windows OS is already sent credentials to the MyBook Live that’s caused it to accept the connection as a guest, allowing access to the Public folder then Windows does seem to have a tendancy to keep on asking for the user name and password even if correct making it appear like the user name and pasword your are providing are incorrect when they ARE correct.

if you use NET USE on the command line then that will actually tell you the reason why a authentication connection is being refused.

I’ve had my MBL now for, I think, just slightly under a year and everything is working fine.  Trust me, I would have got my own money back if I would have experienced major problems.

I’m picky and one particular W.D. member of staff has referred to me as being a pain in the **bleep**!  :smiley:

I take that as a complement.   :smileyvery-happy:

On the MyBook Live, have you set the  WORKGROUP name to be the same as your computer?  All the computers on your network needs to have the same workgroup name.

baruch6132 wrote:

aww great. so i still have an issue. someone please help!

Were in the same network, but it still wont work! infact, at one point earlier it would allow me access but smart ware didnt see it. it said it had a partition that couldnt be written to. so i did a factory restore and it goes back to the same problem! and smart ware wont see it still! and as another problem, smartware refuses to update! i tried installing the net framework 3.5 and that wont instal, but i had it already instaled so tht shouldnt be a problem. and smart ware still says it wont update.

Why is this happoning? i read reviews and none of them said this would happon! 

btw the drive is fully updated firmware wise. drivers r installed, and nothing is working.

Well, the drive is apparently working if you can log into it, configure it, and update it. Bt given that your PC is having problems, I would look there.

ok it was not my computer. Once i rebooted the drive after restoring it ot factory settings and making a private share, smart ware recognized it and i have started backing it up. However, i can still not access it through windows explorer. and smart ware still wont update

Thanks tony!

Instead of using \MyBookLive use the IP address of your MBL.  So if the MBL’s IP address is 192.168.1.5 use \192.168.1.5 within Explorer and tell on this thread if it worked or not.

baruch6132 wrote:

ok it was not my computer. Once i rebooted the drive after restoring it ot factory settings and making a private share, smart ware recognized it and i have started backing it up. However, i can still not access it through windows explorer. and smart ware still wont update