Can't get TV to recognise WD TV Live Streaming box

I have a Panasonic Viera TX-L37E30 TV set. I use a BT Vision box that has a wired access connection to a plug in box called Comtrend (I don’t really understand these things). I am not too bothered about an internet connection for my WD TV Live box at present but want to play some of my media files from an external drive. I have plugged in my power supply, used an HDMI cable to the back of the television and one of the USB ports to plug in my my external drive. However, my TV refuses to recognise the WD TV Live box in anyway. Is there somesort of setting I need to change on the TV or is this TV model simply incompatible with the WD TV Live streaming media player? If it helps when I click the Viera tools option for the TV  on the handset and select media server or Video etc it simply says not available.

edit

You’ll have to select the appropriate hdmi input on the TV itself.   Then you’ll have to set up the WD box. 

Thank you, I have tried that and also tried using the composite cables instead of the HDMI but the television still won’t recocnise the unit. Absolutely nothing happens. I am assuming that it should recognise the unit with or without an internet/wifi connection?

I’m confused…  You don’t get ANY video on the HDMI input?

Right. I have now dragged out an old Technika HD TV from our caravan and set the box up with that. Although I don’t seem to be able to get an HDMI signal I have got the player working with the composite cable. I can only surmise that the Panasonic is not compatible with the WD TV Live stream player which is a pity because that is what I bought the WD TV Live box for.

Have you proved the hdmi port on the television works with another device?

Does the television menu options allow inputs to be skipped so that they can’t be selected?

Seems very strange that wdtv will not display unless the hdmi output is faulty!!

Stuart

Hi Stuart

Yes I agree. As I said it now works perfectly with my small caravan television but thats not really what I want. I know the HDMI port on the Panasonic works because I have tested it with my BT Vision box. The only thing I can think of is that it is not compatible with PAnasonic. It is quite a sophisticated TV but I am aware that to get the VIera link working properly you have to  use their own wireless adapter. If anyone has had experience of using Panasonic televisions mine is a Panasonic Viera TX-L37E30. Its all very frustrating!