Can't get photos from 2007 macbook onto passport Ultra

I have been trying to get photos from my 2007 macbook (has mountain lion so is compatible with my Passport Ultra). It shows up on my desktop but when I try to export a file from my photo library to it, it does not work. It says “Unable to create/volumes/my passport” IN addition, I cannot copy items by dragging them. Any assistance would be appreciated!

Is you Passport Ultra a “mac” model? It has to be, or be formatted for mac to work with drive correctly. This coming from a Windows guy who knows enough about macs to “be dangerous”.

Hmm, it says on the user manual that is compatible with Macs with Mountain lion. Is this not the case?

Jen

Compatible, yes… Ready to use with a Mac, no. Here is what is stated at WD main site about the Ultra line of drives:

Ultra models
Compatibility

•Formatted NTFS for Windows® 8, Windows 7 or Windows Vista® operating systems
Requires reformatting for Mac OS® X operating systems
•Note: Compatibility may vary depending on user’s hardware configuration and operating system.

There is a specific line of drives for Macs called My Passport for Mac

Compatibility:

•Formatted HFS+ Journaled for Mac OS X Lion or Mountain Lion
•Reformatting required for Windows operating systems
•Note: Compatibility may vary depending on user’s hardware configuration and operating system.

To see the complete info about both types of drives, go to this WD link:

You can switch between PC and Mac descriptions by clicking on PC or Mac buttons. The material about compatibility is in the Specs tabs.

So, what does this mean for you? You can use the Ultra with your Mac, although you will have to re-format your Ultra for a Mac. There are instructions somewhere at WD site for how to format a drive for Mac in the WD Support at www.wdc.com

Formatting will delete any data saved on the drive, so have copies of that data on your Mac or elsewhere you can copy back to the Ultra after it’s re-formatted.

Best of luck with this.