Can't get Content Info recognition to work

I have a G3 WDTV Live Streaming box. 

I have 1.06 of the firmware and am using SMB (Windows) sharing.  R/W is enabled on my SMB share, and I see a few 500KB files in the .WD_TV folder on my share, \hp\TV.   

I can browse the share just fine, and I can play back MKVs just fine.   The MKVs are TV shows in the format TV_SHOW_NAME - SxxExx.MKV - for example, “CSI - S05E02.MKV”.

How can I get the WDTVLSG3 box to download the content information and thus label everything?  From the same content share (Windows/SMB share) my XBMC V11 Eden and my Boxee Box function perfectly, recognizing 100% of the content; WDTV recognizes nothing, whether I do it manually (Options with an MKV selected, then GET CONTENT INFO), or just waiting for the content info to pull, hourly.

What am I doing wrong?   When the manual Content Info check fails, I can manually key in a search term and I can view (but not change) the content database (TMDB, TVDB) that is being queried, but I can’t tell it, for example, to use the TVDB for my \hp\tv share and the TMDB for the \hp\videos share…  how do I fix this so WDTV queries the right database? 

Problem #2: 

I have a second share, \hp\videos, which is also R/W for the user in question, and it too has the .WD_TV folder with a few files in it, but I can’t get content info on this at all, and it doesn’t show up in my My LIbrary section at all.  What should I check for? 

1 Like

Most people recommend a slightly different  format (CSI.S05E02.MKV) but I doubt that’s the only issue here.

To begin with, I would start by putting a few of those files on a USB drive and plugin directly to your WDTV.

Then let the box add them to your media library and see if the content is added properly (either automatically if you have that selected or manually if you prefer).

If that works, then at least you know the content gathering works and it is more likely some kind of network/sharing/access rights issue. I don’t use media library with network content myself but I can say many people have had problems getting everyrthing setup properly with this.

Good Luck

Hey dscorn

The problem you’re experiencing has to do with the file naming format you’re using. For some reason the WDTV doesn’t like hyphens “-” in the filename. So in general, it’s a good idea to avoid using those if you wan’t to find content info either “automatically” or manually.

Instead you should use the convention, tvshowname.sXXeYY.ext (CSI.s01e01.mkv) as this is guaranteed to work :slight_smile:

hi… does the wd content library not support .mp4’s?   also i have have named all my tv show  eg: 01 - Pilot all in season sub folders does this mean that i would have to change all my tv series name formats? 

cheers

i would like to know the same? i am having trouble with that aswell

damire80 wrote:

hi… does the wd content library not support .mp4’s?   also i have have named all my tv show  eg: 01 - Pilot all in season sub folders does this mean that i would have to change all my tv series name formats? 

cheers

Yes, the WD Library supports MP4’s just fine.

But as described above, your names aren’t going to work.

“01 - Pilot”

How is it supposed to find a match for that?   There’s no series name, there’s no season number.   Just an episode title.

I solved this by choosing the “my media library” instead of network attached storage. Remember to start media library and assign paths in setup first.