Can't find Files Retrieved from My Book Essential

1st Backup and Retrieval done since purchase of My Book Essential.  I selected to retrieve files from My Book Essential to their original location on my PC and I am not finding any of these files on my PC.  What I am I doing wrong?  Appears as if I lost all files when going through Retrieving process.

You said that you retrieved them to the original location?   Did you reformat your computer or reinstall your OS?  if so the original locations may be different from your original system as logically your system is different.

also what backup software are you using?  smartware? or something else

Yes I used the smartware that is on My Book Essential.  Do you recommend using another program and if so which one?  I did reformat my system…sorry forgot to mention that and did think about it not being able to go to original files since they are changed.  So the easiest way to search for these files without file names would be??

Yes I used the smartware that is on My Book Essential.  Do you recommend using another program and if so which one?  I did reformat my system…sorry forgot to mention that and did think about it not being able to go to original files since they are changed.  So the easiest way to search for these files without file names would be??

Sorry I did not respond earilier, I was on vacation :smiley:

You can use smartware, but I know that WD is still having some issues with it.  The latest version seems to be alright, but you could always reformat the external and then use WD VCD utility to hide the smartware VCD and use as a regular external drive.  This would allow you to use a backup such as Windows backup utility (included with your OS.  If you wanted to let me know which way you wanted to go I can give you links regardless on how you wanted to use the drive.

You could search the external for the files or use the retrieve option within the SmartWare.  If you have reformatted your system you should be able to see the files within the retrieved section of the smartware.  You may need to select them from under the backed up volumes section of the retrieved before you can see them.  Then just restore to a retrieved content folder and reorganize them to where you want them to be