Can't Find Files on MBL Using Linux

Hi - My MBL 2TB recently failed where it would not properly initialize (stuck on yellow light).  I’ve disassembled the device and hooked the harddrive up to my PC using the SATA cable.  I’m running 64bit Windows 8.  As per other posts, I installed a Linux file reader capable of viewing the EXT4 file library.  However, I can’t seem to find my files.  The file reader only shows two partitions.  Is this normal?  I’ve read else where that there should be 4?

Is there a specific partition name and folder where my data would be stored?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I used the MBL as my primary harddirve and I do not have a backup (stupid, I know).

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Hi,

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with the unit.

Unfortunately, we dont have any information about using third party application to read the internal drive of a MBL.

As a recommendation, try contacting a data recovery company to see if they are able to recover your files.

You should show 4. 

Review http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Book-Live/GUIDE-How-to-unbrick-a-totally-dead-MBL/m-p/435724  STEP 2 (DATA BACKUP/RECOVERY)

Also you can try debugfs on your Linux system that you have the WD Drive attached.

sudo debugfs
open -b 65536 /dev/sdb4
(use the above on both partitions and ls to check if you are in the correct system)

cd /shares/Public

ls
// look in the listing for the dir you want to backup (i wanted my music back so i chose: Shared Music)
// Press Q to exit the listing

rdump "Shared Music" /home/realbase/Desktop/musicbackup