Can't copy bigger files to My Book Live 2TG

Hi All,

Just installed My Book Live and updated the firmware. I have a Neatgear router with has gigabit ethernet, as has my computer. When I try to copy bigger files (>5mb)to My Book, it gives a error message: There is a problem assessing Z:(My Book) . Make sure you are connected to the network and try again.

Smaller files are copied straight away. What happens when copying a bigger file, the data transfer starts out at 250 kbpm and gradually lowers to 46 kbpm or less. When about 4 mb of the bigger file is transfered, the error message pops up, although at that moment there is a connection with My Book Live.

Has anyone a solution?

Ida

Hi there, if I were you I’d connect the MBL directly to the Ethernet port of the computer and test the file transfer. If the same file is able to be copied then there’s something on the network that is limiting traffic to the point it’s impossible to copy the files. If the file can’t be copied even directly from the computer even from different computers then try a factory reset, and then replace the MBL if that doesn’t work.

1 Like

Does WebDAV have a limitation on the size of any one file that can be copied?

Other symptoms to look for…  Does your MyBook Live sleep? (Blue LED)

1 Like

Yes, there can be limitations on the client side.  Microsoft used to put a 50 megabyte limit on WebDav transfers (in XPSP2, not sure about Vista and 7)

I am able to copy files in excess of 10 gigabytes via WebDav, though.

1 Like

Thanks all for your answers. I’ve tried to connect to my computer directly, but than the computer doesn’t recognize the drive. I have decided to return the drive and buy a 3 tb my book essential instead. I have never had any problems with WD drives before (have three in use now) and don’t want to put in more time and effort to get the thing working. Now that I have decided to return the drive I wanted to uninstall smartware, but that’s not working either. This must be my lucky day, but thanks for all the help.

Ida

With Microsoft Fix It, I’ve been able to uninstall WD smartware!

Ida

After removing SmartWare I did a reboot and plugged the drive into the router again, just to check I had erased all my files from the disc. For the last time I did try to transfer a bigger file to the disc and lo and behold it worked like a charm. I’m now transfering about 450 gb of files from my computer’s harddrive and I can’t complain about the speed either. There must have been some issue with smartware and other software installed on my computer.

Must be my lucky day after all.

Ida