Can't Connect

That will always be a problem with any NAS that has limited remote access capabilities. Having a single method of remote access that relies on the manufacturer’s back end systems will always be a single point of failure for the device with respect to remote access.

While for single bay users one could enable FTP, that is not secure. Setting up other methods (VPN, SFTP, etc.) takes some time and knowledge by the end user.

Unfortunately many are now finding out the critical flaw with these lower end My Cloud boxes that offer cloud/remote access. While the WD remote access service rarely goes down. It can and does go down leaving the end users (who don’t use alternative methods of remote access) unable to use a critical feature of the devices they’ve paid for.

1 Like

OK so WD cannot fix the cloud problem. Is there another option to connect our “cloud” drives to another service be it commercial or as a dedicated cloud link for our own drives, I am not a computer wiz but for over 14 days now i have not been able to access my drive and being in isolation due to covid 19 i am unable to go to work so loosing wages hand over fist, All this due to inability of WD to get it right, I might have to risk going to work to get the drive and work from home, Not ideal but i need to earn money to live

Sent this email to WS now had enough of this ■■■■…So a further 3 days and still no access, WD what is going on, no contact apart from auto emails saying “contact us” what a joke, WD now should be paying us to get the products WD “sell” under false advertising as a “cloud” accessible unit as it is clearly not, WD get your act together or get out all together and get a tech team that know what they are doing

Just found this on WD, tried to connect from this web page and it worked, for how long i do not know but am getting vital stuff downloaded now, good luck everyone

Dear My Cloud Users,

We have made extensive changes to the MyCloud.com website following the launch of our My Cloud Home device. If you are an original My Cloud user please use http://files.mycloud.com to login to your original My Cloud device.

Original My Cloud Products

Short answer. Yes one can setup their own methods of remote access to the My Cloud which has been suggested in prior posts earlier in the thread discussion.

One can use the insecure FTP method by enabling the FTP option within the My Cloud Dashboard > Settings. Then enbling port forwarding for FTP within the router the My Cloud is connected to. Note that FTP is generally not a secure protocol and could be subject to interception.

If one searches these subforums using the forum search feature they’ll see there are possible options for enbling SFTP.

https://community.wd.com/search?q=SFTP%20category%3A105

The best way is to setup a VPN server on the same local network as the My Cloud, that will typically allow secure access to the My Cloud. Not that setting up VPN may take some knowledge learning if one is not familiare with it’s setup and use. Some consumer routers (Asus for example) may offer the ability to setup a VPN server within the router’s administration interface. There are free VPN server options like OpenVPN.

The multi bay My Cloud models may have additional remote access capabilities beyond those limited options on the single bay My Cloud models. Users with mulit bay models should see their model’s user manual for more information on network access capabilities.

it would be time for such a big company to do something after all these days !! because it is very annoying !!

Hi all there
I have the same Problems. I found that all cloud-accesses in the dashboard are lost.
I can not make new Accesses ???

I just tried https://files.mycloud.com and the phone app while remote and both seem to be working again.

Also, they updated https://status.mycloud.com/os3 yesterday to reflect the outage. It should show March 9th, not March 18th. At least it was finally updated though.

I hope it is fixed and not just up temporarily.

Down again

I just test the phone and site again, both seem up for me. They must still be working on getting everyone back up.

Do you have your ports forwarded manually? Mine have been; maybe that is playing a role.

Yep, same here. Have port forwarding setup and both the MyCloud.com web portal and MyCloud mobile app (for Android) cannot connect. Status.mycloud.com is indicating down at the moment (10:55am EST).

Screenshot_2020-03-19 Screenshot(1)

It is just a wee bit disingenuous for WD to claim the service is down since March 18 when it’s been down for much longer then that. Since the 11th at the very least. People will think WD was proactive in fixing the issue (in a day) rather than realizing they weren’t (over a week now).

Edit to add: Let me add though that I’ve had personal VPN access to the My Cloud all throughout the WD back end outage. People really should treat this latest outage as a learning experience and consider being proactive by setuping alternate methods of access. May take some time to learn and setup but at least one wouldn’t have to sit around waiting (at least a week currently) for WD to fix the issue.

I’d say check again later today or tomorrow. I have been signing in and out on 2 different remote IP addresses. Moved some files around, uploaded and download some… no issues so far. Seems to be steadily up for me. I’d expect everyone else will slowly get connection again too.

Working for me this morning!

thx :slight_smile:

I’m also like you and can not connect to my MyCloud, I do not know the above guys know how to fix it.

this morning was good for me. I can access the phone and the files.

I’m able to access MyCloud through my network area at the office but not remotely. I have open ports manually but no go. I’m still getting this out of the office or home:

Good news for everybody!
WD finally got their act together and fixed whatever was causing the major outage.
They will of course never divulge what the problem was!
ICan confirm everything is back as it was before the 9th.

May be back for you. Still no mycloud.com access or WD My Cloud app for Android for me.

Android app throws a “905 error”.

Call them. I think they have the servers back on line. They used the WD My Cloud Android app errors to fix it. I also took the ports out and place it on auto…