Can't connect WDTV SMP to my iMac

per your above post, maybe you don’t have an SMP

does your device look like the picture at the top of this forum ?

Thanks KAD79.

I have since confirmed that the Live that I have does not have the additional functionaliy (to turn on Linux share) that a SMP does.

So the bottom line is the unit is effectively a throw away when you have a Mac. :frowning:

Thanks for trying to help nonetheless.

if you’ve got the old device, just use WDLXTV firmwares, that does advanced networking

http://forum.wdlxtv.com/

http://wiki.wdlxtv.com/Net.mounts

I had the same problem. And im no good with computers. Easiest solution i found, download “Sofa Play” from appstore. (Its a drag and drop transfer program that works with WD live.

I spent days searching for a soulution, trying to install Samba and NFS, with no luck.

But this took me 2 minutes to install. There are still some negatives (doesnt support subtitles), but it works for me.

Simon,

Were you using Yosemite on your Mac to make these changes ?

Thanks

Joe

I feel the same way  you do, spent hours going through all the steps figured I was a dumb **bleep**, apparently I’m not alone, all that happens is that dam arrow circles for ever.

Hi Simon78 (or anyone) - 

I’m trying to connect my WDTV Live to my Mac (OS 10.9.5) using the method you’ve described back a year ago.  I can get a folder created on my Mac itself (i.e. something from desktop) to show successfully on the WDTV Live, however I’m having trouble figuring out the path to write for an external hard drive as this is where all of my content is housed.  Can you offer any suggestions as to what the path needs to be in this case?  the path i see when I drop the drive into Terminal is as follows:

/Volumes/2TB_MOVIES

Thanks!

hi there, thanks for this.

So I can now get the WDTV to identify my iMac, and the drives and folders connected to it.  It spots all video files I want to play.  But when I hit the play button, yes, you guessed, it’s that spinning arrow…

I’ve tried files of a couple of different formats, mp4, avi, I didn’t really think this was the issue, and it doesn’t make any difference.  Neither also does messing about with the ‘Linux Share (NFS) Support’ setting, as on or off it still won’t play.  And neither does where the files actually are, what the folder path is, whether they are on the desktop or on an external drive.  It identifies that they are there - but won’t play.

Not sure what to do next… I’ve run out of ideas.  What else do I need to change on the Mac other than share permissions?

Any offers appreciated,

K

chris2kari wrote:

“I just happened to find a solution. Apparently, SMB doesn’t work properly from Lion upwards. Installing SMBUP has solved the rpoblem. You can find it in  http://eduo.info/apps/smbup

This is using a sledge hammer to crack a walnut.

May be useful for someone in a business environment but for home users it’s way over the top IMHO.

Thank you for sharing the link…

Chris

I’m really late to this, but I wanted to clarify that SMBUp is NOT for business environments (and it’s normally not used for that, since it falls short in the requirements they tend to have). SMBUp is the minimum that can be done to be able to recover samba SMB services in OS X Lion and later.

Again: I’m not advocating it but I just noticed I get a fair amount of hits from this forum post and I thought I’d clarify this since even if it looks that way from the outside (although it’s the first time I read this) it’s very far from the actual intent and design of the app.

Having said this, I recommend using AFP and NFS, in that order, before using SMB, if you can. Mac OS X handles those protocols natively and both have had official support for decades.