Can't access NAS devices through device name anymore

Hello everyone,

I have 3 NAS devices, 2 EX4100 and one PR4100 (on my home network which I maintain myself). All of them stopped being available on the network through their device names (e.g. xyz.local through the browser or just xyz when accessing through the MacOS Finder), as of a few days ago. Browsing the network on a Mac still sees them available occasionally but unable to connect. ping / other network tracing tools are unable to resolve the names. I have confirmed this on at least 2 different client devices now. I can however log into the web console, ssh into the device and connect to the AFP share via the IP address. I am not aware of any network, firmware, router or NAS configuration changes I’ve made during that time. Other devices I share on the network (e.g. a Mac Pro that acts as a server) can be found just fine via its name. Note that I have only very basic networking skills so please be patient :slight_smile:

If there’s any other information I can provide to help with this issue please let me know. As of now I haven’t done any forced restarts of any of either the NAS or networking devices.

Thank you!

Hi @darthloki,

Please refer to the following article My Cloud Not Accessible - Change Router, ISP or Network:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5328/

Hi @Keerti_01 ,

Thanks for the suggestion.

My Cloud is not accessible after replacing the router, changing internet service providers (ISP) or relocating the My Cloud to a different network.

None of these conditions are true or have been performed. As I mentioned, they ARE accessible through the IP address shown on the front panel, just not their assigned names.

The network configuration on a My Cloud is set to DHCP by default.
If a static IP address has been assigned, the My Cloud may not be accessible after changing routers, service providers or relocating to a different network.

None of the NAS boxes ever had a static IP address assigned, and all of them show to be configured as using DHCP on the network settings page.

I assume it’s the 4 second reset process that I should follow? I have tested this with one of the three, and that hasn’t changed the situation at all (still not accessible through name).

Hi,

Please contact the WD Technical Support team for best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask