Can't access files/drive not recognized after Windows update

Can someone please point me in the right direction?? I haven’t had any problems with my WD drive until today. I recently was forced to install several Windows security updates and everything seemed fine. After powering down and not turning the computer back on for a few days, I finally booted back up and noticed my “unlock” desktop icon was a bad link. As well, the computer did not recognize my WD drive at all. The only changes made were Windows updates. I tried a system restore (at three different restore points) and I get an error message each time telling me the system was not restored and no changes were made. One other note on this, my Windows security has been turned off and it will not allow me to turn it back on. I’m running Norton Internet Security, so I’m not sure if there’s a conflict there as well. I’m thinking about getting a Mac…Windows has ticked me off to end…and if I can’t get my WD drive to work again, I’ve basically lost over 50,000 picture files of my only son’s first 3 years of life. Anyone know what to do??

Hello, sorry to hear that you cannot access your files. Have you tried connecting the hard drive to another PC to see if the same problem happens? If possible you can also try using another USB cable. With the help of DLG you can try running a test. Check the link below for the steps.

How to test a drive for problems using Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows