Can't access EX4 via Windows Explorer on Windows 10

I have only recently noticed this issue.

I cannot say that it is 100% related to Windows 10, but the only other thing that has changed is that the EX4 has had a firmware update since the last time I accessed it via WIndows Explorer.

When I am at home, I generally access my EX4 via Windows Explorer (open Explorer, navigate to Network, then EX4, then to the folders I wish to access). I have a share on the EX4 that is not publicly accessible. So I have to enter a username and password to connect to it. Prior to upgrading the firmware on the EX4 and upgrading my Surface Pro 3 to Windows 10, I could just enter the username and password and access the files/folders no problem.

Now, WIndows Explorer reports an error. Something about unable to access, connection refused, contact administrator, etc. I have reset the password using the control panel. I have restarted the device as well.

For the record, I CAN access it via the WD Cloud application, but that is really cumbersome to use with it, and I prefer Windows Explorer access if possible.

Has anyone else seen this type of issue before?

What happens when you setup a drive mapping?

1 Like

Interestingly, I was able to map it a few moments ago.

I then restarted my computer and am still able to access it.

I would prefer to not be forced to map it as a network drive it possible.

I wonder why it will work as a mapped drive, but not just browsing on the network?

The drive mapping accesses with a defined authentication pair.  Browsing  doesn’t.

But when I browse and it asks for the username/password for the share, it should have an authentication pair when I provide that information.

I can browse and access with Windows 7, 8 and 8.1, but NOT Windows 10. So something must have changed in 10 to cause this problem, or something changed in the last firmware update?

LJWillmann wrote:

But when I browse and it asks for the username/password for the share, it should have an authentication pair when I provide that information.

I can browse and access with Windows 7, 8 and 8.1, but NOT Windows 10. So something must have changed in 10 to cause this problem, or something changed in the last firmware update?

For Windows 10, best way to access private share is to use this credential

NAS_name\username

password

This always work for me.

Well, I decided to give up on Windows 10, at least for now.

Too many other (unrelated) issues with Win 10 to keep it.

I have now the same problem on every computer after installing Windows 10. I can’t see anymore my wdmycloud device in my Network (LAN). I can access it via the wdmycloud desktop app but that doesn’t allow me to drag and drop files.
I wonder how your problem in July 2015 got solved.
I think that this is a WD MyCloud software problem.
I tried to map a drive but, windows 10 doesn’t find my device.
I hope that WD sees this problem and addresses it properly soon.

Thanks

Toon Six

I have the same problem on every computer after installing Windows 10

I recently have experienced the same problem using Windows 10 thee only strange thing is that I could access the WDMyCloudEX4 using Windows File Explorer for about a year then all of a sudden I could not access the drive. I had to load WD Access on each computer using the network then pin the IP address to Quick Access to easily access the shares on the NAS. What a pain.

Has anyone actually figured this out? I’m seeing the same issue EX4, Public directory works fine. When I go to a protected directory, it challenges, and I tried user/pass, Device_Name\user/pass and nothing seems to work. This is a crazy thing - should be VERY straightforward… Anyone? :slight_smile:

The only way I could “map” a connection to my personal share on the EX4100 was to use the “Add Network Location” dialog. I did this by clicking “My PC” in Windows 10 File Explorer, then right-clicking in any blank area, then choosing “Add a network location”, then clicking “Next”, then “Next” again at “Add a custom network location”, then typing in the UNC path (\ip_address\sharename), then clicking “Next” one final time. It doesn’t assign a drive letter, but you can pin the new location to Quick Access. It seems to be persistent (it is still there and functional after reboot).

1 Like

I tried that too… same issue. Now when I use the “admin” credentials, it will let me in, but if I try to use one of my users’ credentials, it still says “access denied”