Can't access backed up files from a previous Computer

I had my “MY Passport Essential SE 1TB” set to back up my data automatically. I had to reinstall Windows Vista this week. I thought I could just bring over all of my files of music and pictures. When I go to retrieve my data from the drive, I can see about 750 GB of data but the drive does not give me the option to move it over to my PC. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

this happens if the software was updated after the backup.

you can go to the drive and retrieve the files manually.

Look for a folder smartware.sw.stor and search for your files there.

drag and drop or copy and paste to the new computer 

1 Like

I am having the same problem only using a WD 750GB drive. When I am on the homepage, it shows that I have additional files but when I go to the retrieve tab to get them to put on my new computer, it says I have nothing there :(   Can someone please help - these are backup files of my only grandbaby and I HAVE to have them. PLEASE…

joey102659 wrote:

I am having the same problem only using a WD 750GB drive. When I am on the homepage, it shows that I have additional files but when I go to the retrieve tab to get them to put on my new computer, it says I have nothing there :(   Can someone please help - these are backup files of my only grandbaby and I HAVE to have them. PLEASE…

did you try my suggestion above ?

Yes, when I go to my computer and click on the My Passport it says no files found.

When I go to the WD smartware it brings up my computer and the My Passport Essential, under My Passport Essential in the bar graph it shows 44.3 GB on that drive.

If I go to backup on the WD smartware it shows Additional Files: 44.3 GB over on the right hand side, on the left hand side it shows my computer files for the new computer I am on.

If I go to retrieve there are no files listed under the My Passport Essential.

Just for $hits and giggles, I went to my defraggler as I can always see my files in there under the file list - when I analyze the K drive: My Passport - it shows 44.3 GB of used space and when I click the File list tab it lists all my music and photo files. Only there is no way to copy them from this listing on the defrag program (which I didn’t expect it to have that option).

Do I have to have the Easy Share picture program and the itunes program on the Passport Essential in order for those files to show up???

I am just stumped here as to why those files show up as used space and I can see them in one program but the PassPort will not retrieve them to backup onto my new computer?

Thank you for your time and expertise - any additional info you can give me would be greatfully appreciated :slight_smile:

this only happens if the files are corrupted on the drive , you can try testing the drive with chkdsk

even smartware can test the drive

try using Recuva if the files are corrupted to restore the files

SMART drive check is good - passed

Quick drive test passed

running complete drive test now and says it could take hours depending on size of drive - I will let you know when I have results - if it says bad I will follow your suggestions above. If it passes, I will come back to you  LOL

Thank you for all your help. I don’t care so much about the music for itunes, but my grandbaby pics are priceless to me.

Thanks Again!!

Kathy

Complete Drive Test passed…

Nothing is corrupted…any other ideas???

Should I still try to recover the files with the recovery you suggested or is that a mute point seeing as there are no corrupted files??

Thanks,

Kathy

I have a My Book Essential 1TB with 104.5 GB of older stored data.   my laptop crashed and i need to place this data onto new laptop.   when i access the drive from computer there is on 30 GB showing in folder smartware.sw.stor.  how do i retrieve the other 70+ GB

thank you,

Adam

Check this thread out http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-for-PC/data-restore/m-p/161586/highlight/true#M5703 Sometimes you need to do another backup.

Joe

i did perform a new back up however, only 30 GB of my 107+Gb of backed up data is shwoing in the smartware.swstor drive.  

I couldn’t see folder “smartware.sw.stor” until I did the following:   To turn on Removable Storage Management in Windows Vista

1. Click the Start button, click Control Panel , click Programs , and then click Turn Windows Features on or off. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  2. Select the check box next to Removable Storage Management to turn the feature on, and then click OK.

Once I did this, I was able to see smartware.sw.stor and manually pull over all of my files and what not.

Thanks!!

Try this:

To turn on Removable Storage Management in Windows Vista

1. Click the Start button, click Control Panel , click Programs , and then click Turn Windows Features on or off. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  2. Select the check box next to Removable Storage Management to turn the feature on, and then click OK.

Once this is complete, go back and look for the folder smartware.sw.stor and you should be able to access your data,