Can't acces external drive when WDLTV is OFF since rollback to 2.01.86

like many others i have problems whith the last firmware so I recently rollback my firmware from 2.02.32 to 2.01.86. Every things works fine except that i notice a problem i din’t have before.

I run on windows 7 and I was used to acces the external drive attached to the WD from my computer even when i switch off the WDLTV. But since i rollback to 2.01.86, i have many problems to access it. When the WDLTV is ON it’s fine but when i switch it off, it is a mess to access it. I can from time to time but usually it just doesn"t appear in the local workgroup. I can’t neither ping it. I atribute it a static ip but it doesn’t help.

Is there something wrong with this firmware or did i miss something in the settings ?

Lamiricore wrote:

Is there something wrong with this firmware or did i miss something in the settings ?

It has NEVER been possible, under any firmware, to access an external disk when the device is OFF.  It’s only possible when it’s in STANDBY.

If you can’t even PING it, it’s definitely OFF.

There’s nothing in the settings that changes this…

ok, my mistake.

In my mind when i wrote OFF it mean standby (just push the red button on the remote)

So the probleme is still there, with this driver i have many problems to access my external hard drive in standby mode.

It has NEVER been possible, under any firmware, to access an external disk when the device is OFF.  It’s only possible when it’s in STANDBY.

If you can’t even PING it, it’s definitely OFF.

There’s nothing in the settings that changes this…

WRONG, I have been able to since day one.

Lamiricore wrote:

ok, my mistake.

In my mind when i wrote OFF it mean standby (just push the red button on the remote)

So the probleme is still there, with this driver i have many problems to access my external hard drive in standby mode.

After you think it’s in STANDBY, look at the network connection.  (Assuming you’re WIRED connection) – are the LED’s still on? 

Or, Is your USB drive “On”?    If you turn the WD OFF, the external HD will also not get USB power.

stugots187 wrote:WRONG, I have been able to since day one.

You can say that all you like – but you’re mistaken.   If the device is OFF, the network connection is dead.  You can’t “WRONG” away the laws of electronics…

So if I can do it and the OP says he was able to we are imagining it happened? Whatever , I know it works and that really is all that matters…

http://youtu.be/tj_kg_XNkSo

here you go…

You’re not paying attention. It’s not OFF. It’s in STANDBY.

Really? You need to go read it again as it says off, you really can’t be this obtuse.

Look who’s talking.

When i quickly push the red button (standby mode) the wd led is off but my external HDD led is on. I can still acess it from time to time but it’s very aleatory. Sometime i can ping it but no access to it, sometime i can’t ping it at all, sometime it works OK… I didn’t have this problem with the firmware 2.02.32, i could always acces to my external HD. Perharps i will just go back with this driver but it has many others bugs…

Or wait an update firmware from WD, but i would have a raspberry before it comes :neutral_face:

Lamiricore wrote:

When i quickly push the red button (standby mode) the wd led is off but my external HDD led is on. I can still acess it from time to time but it’s very aleatory. Sometime i can ping it but no access to it, sometime i can’t ping it at all, sometime it works OK… I didn’t have this problem with the firmware 2.02.32, i could always acces to my external HD. Perharps i will just go back with this driver but it has many others bugs…

Or wait an update firmware from WD, but i would have a raspberry before it comes :neutral_face:

Are you sure you don’t have the Auto Power-off setting enabled?  

By default, the device will go from ON or STANDBY to OFF after three hours.  Meaning OFF.  No network, no HD access, no nothing.

Or perhaps you’re using HDMI CEC?  (Not sure if that function puts it in Standby or OFF…)

stugots187 wrote:

Really? You need to go read it again as it says off, you really can’t be this obtuse. 

Look, buddy… you’re adding ZERO to this conversation accept for adding confusion.

The WD TV has THREE POWER STATES.

ON:   Duh.

Standby/Sleep:   HDMI is off but still has clock (some video switches care about this).   Optical Output is still on.  Network is still on.  USB ports are still powered and accessible via network.

Off:  It is OFF.   HDMI output is OFF.   Optical output is OFF.  Network is OFF.  USB ports are OFF – no power.

The WD TV is put into standby (or sleep) by pressing the power button briefly or sending a soft command via apps or web remote, or via a software timer.

The WD TV is turned OFF by pressing the power button for 3 or more seconds (the manual says 5 but is being cautious) or by using the Energy Saving Auto Shutdown.

Do you have any other gems of knowledge you want to claim?  This is all documented in the user manaul, so I’m quite amused that you argue a case that’s impossible to support.

i had auto-power setting enabled, so i disabled it i will see if its’ better.

I have also HDMI CEC enabled but it put the Wd in standby when you shut off the TV.

By the way i noticed that i could have problem to access the disk even when the WD is on. I could ping it but not access to the disk. When i have problems i restart the Wd and usually it’s OK.

Perhaps it’s nothing to do do with the ON/standby mode…