Canon 60D showing 0k bytes free of 0k bytes in Dashboard when connected to WD My Cloud USB port

I’m fairly sure when I first got the drive January 4, 2014 I could see this camera just fine and download photos via the USB port. Now it shows as connected in dashboard, but 0k bytes and folders (DCIM) are empty in Explorer on both Vista and Win 8.1 machines. My Nikon CoolpixP510 works fine. Is it possible firmware update responsible? Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Make sure you use the eject button when you eject the USB in the back. if you have content on the card, can you retrieve on a computer USB port? Then reformat the card and try again.

shouldknow wrote:

I’m fairly sure when I first got the drive January 4, 2014 I could see this camera just fine and download photos via the USB port. Now it shows as connected in dashboard, but 0k bytes and folders (DCIM) are empty in Explorer on both Vista and Win 8.1 machines. My Nikon CoolpixP510 works fine. Is it possible firmware update responsible? Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Hi Etupes. Thank you for your reply and my apologies for the tardiness of mine. There have been times I’m sure when I must not have used the eject button on the dashboard - how would this affect things? I tested this with multiple newly formatted cards, but the error occurs for all SD cards I have. Additionally, this happens on and off with my iPhone 5 as well, which I’ve started documenting since I read your reply. What triggers this behavior baffles me. It even persisted after I did a sytem only factory restore. The file structure appears in Windows Explorer (and the WD utility) for both devices, but the DCIM folder is seen as empty. Also the dashboard USB info for the phone shows 63GB, so the USB port sees the devices, but thinks the folder that holds the data is empty. The phone charges when plugged in, too. I’m sure I copied files off the phone a couple of weeks ago after I know I had seen this problem in the past. I tried again yesterday and the issue cropped up once again. All content is retrievable from both a Vista laptop and a Dell Venue 8 Pro running Windows 8.1. I bought a Transcend USB 3.0 card reader as a workaround. I can read the Canon formatted SD cards just fine with the reader plugged into the WD My Cloud USB port. I can read USB 2.0 flash thumb drives, a WD 2TB USB 3.0 passport formatted NTFS just fine too. Had some issues with an old WD USB 2.0 passport drive (would have to check formatting, but think it’s FAT32) as well reading it through a USB 2 extension cable I have plugged into the USB port, but it was recognized when plugged directly into the My Cloud USB port. The Canon and the iPhone don’t have any data regardless of whether they’re plugged in directly or through the extension cable.