Cannot use two 2Tb My Book Essential disks together

I Just bought two  My Book Essential (2 Tb / USB 3-2) disks.

I connected them to my windows 7 professional system (to get a double off line copy  of a great amount of file).

There’s no way of making my system see them both.

In the device management panel I see them (2 lines saying “WD My Bookboth 1130 USB Device”) but one is ON-Line and the other OFF-Line.

I didn’t install the WD Software and I  disactivated the WD SES Device USB DEvices appearing in the Device management panel too as I want to use the disks as ‘simple’ disks.

The ‘strange’  thing is that  when I connect just one WD Book together with a different brand USB 1 Tb  disk I can see and use the two of them.

Any kind suggestion ?

Thanks

Pippo

Go into the disk manager and right click where it shows off line and change to online you may need to rename that drive first. This happens with identical drives.

Joe

1 Like

This is the first thing I did but the status field is read only not right clickable.

I already renamed and reformatted the disks… nothing.

I can use them separately with no problem but when I connect them together I see just one.

One more problem is that the boot time increases a lot when I start the PC with the disk connected.

Thanks

Pippo

When you plug them in one at a time do they show the same drive letter? Disconnect drives enable the SES install  driver when prompted when you plug back in. It’s not the Smartare. See what that does.

Joe

Joe,

Sorry but I’m a beginner …

I found a different Disk Management voice inside the Computer Management panel (before I was working inside the Device Manager panel).

Here the system told me the reason why the second disk was not visible (it had no letter) : ‘the disk is off-line because of a “signature collision” with a different device of the same type’.

Notwithstanding this I right clicked on the off-line status ant it went on line and got a letter in Resource manager.

Now the two disk seems to be perfectly working together with a different name in resource manager

Your advice was great (hope everything will work when I will switch offf and on the computer.

Many thanks

Pippo

Glad it worked !

Joe

1 Like