Cannot use Time Machine with today's firmware update

Today’s firmware update was supposed to include compatibiility with Apple OS X Lion/10.7 and while my My Book World Edition seems to work fine after applying the update, I’m not able to use it with Time Machine.

After updating the firmware, I shut down the drive, restarted my computer, and started the drive again.

When I try to turn select my WD_Backup share for Time Machine, I’m prompted to log in, after which I get the following error message:

Time Machine can't access the backup disk "WD_Backup". The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error 2.)

When I look at my My Book World Edition’s system log, I see the following concurrent errors:

09/13 20:10:39 MediaDrive daemon.notice afpd[4149]: AFP3.3 Login by andrew 
09/13 20:10:40 MediaDrive daemon.notice afpd[4149]: AFP logout by andrew 
09/13 20:10:40 MediaDrive daemon.err afpd[4149]: dsi_stream_read: len:0, unexpected EOF 
09/13 20:10:40 MediaDrive daemon.notice afpd[4149]: afp_over_dsi: client logged out, terminating DSI session 
09/13 20:10:40 MediaDrive daemon.notice afpd[4149]: AFP statistics: 0.64 KB read, 0.50 KB written

I know there seem to be some more widespread problems applying the updated firmware, but I think I’ve sidestepped those and am not sure how close I am to being able to use my My Book World Edition with Time Machine for the first time since I bought it!

I am running into the same issue.

It says:

OSStatus error 2

Any solutions to this yet?

Thanks in advance

Perhaps it is a file on your computer - I know that sounds strange but try closing all applications, opening DIsk Utility and running ‘Repair Disk Permissions’. If an error comes up, reboot into the Recovery HD and run the “Repair DIsk” option in Disk Utility.

Time Machine has been known to cark itself on files that are corrupted and this may be the reason for it. If you want to, go into Spotlight, add Macintosh HD to the Privacy list, then remove it. This will cause Spotlight to reindex your Mac and slow down everything, but may help clear out and old settings. Also, make sure that Time Machine is respecting the excluded locations list in Time Machine preference’s. 

Finally, DO NOT USE WiFi! Apart from it going REEEAAAALL slow, it is not as consistent as a wired connection as the WiFi in Lion has been known to dropout or ‘timeout’ connections, thus interrupting the backup process.

timeimp wrote:

Perhaps it is a file on your computer - I know that sounds strange but try closing all applications, opening DIsk Utility and running ‘Repair Disk Permissions’. If an error comes up, reboot into the Recovery HD and run the “Repair DIsk” option in Disk Utility.

Time Machine has been known to cark itself on files that are corrupted and this may be the reason for it. If you want to, go into Spotlight, add Macintosh HD to the Privacy list, then remove it. This will cause Spotlight to reindex your Mac and slow down everything, but may help clear out and old settings. Also, make sure that Time Machine is respecting the excluded locations list in Time Machine preference’s. 

I can’t access the My Book World Edition in Disk Utility, which I think is expected for a NAS.

And I’ve not used Time Machine before, so I don’t think this is a problem in OS X.

Oops - my bad. I ment to say use Disk Utility to Repair Disk Permissions of Macintosh HD. Usually, after an update (eg 10.7.1), OS X can have issues with some files relating to the update. Open Console and click “All Messages” in the sidebar and then filter for ‘backupd’ (without quotes). Paste the results as your Mac may be providing clues as to why the operation is failing.

Hi there, got the same issue, new firmware, osx Leopard and snow, no time machine, MyBookWorld II disappeared from lan !!!

Upset is a gentle word … i got many others!!!

I ran into the same problem. I googled a bit and found this:  http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/forum/t-272987

The cause of the error was that WD_Backup user didn’t have permissions to access its own share (located in /var/lib/timemachine), as the folders /var and /var/lib (owned by root) had only drwx------ access.

First you need to ssh into the MBWE (you need to enable SSH in the web interface under Advanced section).

Login using your favourite terminal :smiley: (default username:root, password:welc0me).

To check if this is really the issue, type and press enter:

ls -l /

If the line ending with var starts with drwx-----, then this is the problem.

Simply issue:

chmod 755 /var

chmod 755 /var/lib

and it should be fixed. No need to restart anything, just try again with Time Machine. :wink:

If, on the other hand, it already reads drwxr-xr-x, then the problem must be somewhere else… :neutral_face:

Same here.

Now I have sorted through this all afternoon.

What a waste of time.

Tried everything I could think of.

Why is this so hard to solve? 

I have not been able to back up for 6 weeks!

Egonz2 wrote:

I ran into the same problem. I googled a bit and found this:  http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/forum/t-272987

The cause of the error was that WD_Backup user didn’t have permissions to access its own share (located in /var/lib/timemachine), as the folders /var and /var/lib (owned by root) had only drwx------ access.

Yeah, unfortunately that’s not my problem; those permissions seem to be okay.

I had this error too, I fixed it by logging into NAS and changing permissions of /var and /var/lib directories:

chmod a+rx /var
chmod a+rx /var/lib

After that, time machine worked ok. See my post here.

andrewski wrote:

Egonz2 wrote:

Yeah, unfortunately that’s not my problem; those permissions seem to be okay.

Do you have .AppleVolumes file in  /var/lib/timemachine ? Is it readable by WD_Backup ? The WD_Backup share is described there,  it should contain

/DataVolume/.timemachine WD_Backup options:upriv,usedots,tm

vahur wrote:

Do you have .AppleVolumes file in  /var/lib/timemachine ? Is it readable by WD_Backup ? The WD_Backup share is described there,  it should contain

/DataVolume/.timemachine WD_Backup options:upriv,usedots,tm

Yes, all of the above.

andrewski wrote:

Yes, all of the above.

You could try logging in via ssh as WD_Backup and cat .AppleVolumes. If this works ok then there must be something else … is the /DataVolume/.timemachine directory ok ? Mine looks like this:

drwx------ 8 WD_Backu root 4096 Sep 14 17:19 /DataVolume/.timemachine/

I think that hte majority of people in here cannot even log into the drive at all … my Mac fails to recognise anything to do with the drive!

Pissed off now … it’s actually funny that WD slammed those who upgraded without checking if it’s available!

mbwe II white light 01.02.10

no problems with auto upgrade, it toke some time and restarted up, everything was working like before.

i even think the that the web admin is a litle faster then before…

Time machine works with no problems…

vahur wrote:

andrewski wrote:

Yes, all of the above.

You could try logging in via ssh as WD_Backup and cat .AppleVolumes. If this works ok then there must be something else … is the /DataVolume/.timemachine directory ok ? Mine looks like this:

drwx------ 8 WD_Backu root 4096 Sep 14 17:19 /DataVolume/.timemachine/

I can cat .AppleVolumes. My /DataVolume/.timemachine directory has permissions of drwxr-xr-x, but I wouldn’t think that would cause a problem here since it’s basically more permissible? :slight_smile:

I should also mention that I can’t access my backup volume via Finder the same way I can the normal volume; I get the following error:

9/14/11 12:28:02.983 PM Finder: SharePointBrowser::openNetAuthSession URL is NULL

However, after restarting my MBWE again and, this time, connecting in Time Machine’s Preferences as user WD_Backup, it worked. Maybe that’s what I should’ve been doing all along? :dizzy_face:

Simon12001 wrote:

I think that hte majority of people in here cannot even log into the drive at all … my Mac fails to recognise anything to do with the drive!

• *> Not what this topic is about; there are others that cover those problems.

vahur…

did you mean you set these permissions in Terminal first, correct?

(just want to be sure before I start tinkering under the hood)

then you logged into the NAS?

you mention a slow authentication after the change - is that next step necessary to make the drive accessible for backups?

Forgive me for my impatience with WD but wasn’t their update supposed to FIX this problem???  So ready to toss this **bleep** at this point. It’s been more trouble than it’s worth since I first bought it.