Cannot use dashboard on either Mac or Win via direct ethernet connection

Hi,

I bought a brand new WD MBLD 8tb yesterday. Unboxed, plugged into Mac OS X 10.7. Can’t connect to the dashboard. After 2.5 hours of stuffing about, no solution.

Today I plugged it into a PC I have acquired and same thing - cannot connect to the dashboard.

What does one do, when a brand new out-of-the-box product does not work as advertised? I don’t want a “refurbished” drive sent to me from a warranty claim, I don’t have the time. I need to back up NOW. And it seems I can’t. I want to mirror the drives and I cannot configure them.

SSH doesn’t work as it seems the default is off. Followed MANY threads on this forum to no avail.

Is there ANY way of getting to the dashboard?

Power cycled, checked web proxies, checked checked checked… everything. No dashboard.

Please help, very frustrated.

Scott.

What I can’t get my head around is that there has been no update of firmware, this MBLD is bricked right out of the box. It can’t update the firmware because dashboard has never been able to be accessed. The thing was wrapped in shrink-wrap for cying out loud, how can it be bricked out of box and then I have to get a refurbished one as RMA?? I will take this to Australia’s Fair Trading watchdog, they’ll have a field day with this one. Brand new device swapped for a refurbished one due to DOA? Nope. I’ll have a new, non-bricked one thanks.

scottg wrote:

What does one do, when a brand new out-of-the-box product does not work as advertised? 

Well, for one thing, that’s not how these things are intended to be used.   

They’re not intended to be plugged directly into a PC.   They’re intended to be connected to your home network, which usually consists of a router to the internet that also provides DHCP services so that the device can get an IP address.

If that’s not how you’re connecting, then the onus is on you to configure IP addressing manually so that the out-of-the-box NAS is reachable from your PC.   It’s not clear from your posts if you’ve done this or not.

Either way, connecting in that manner will significantly limit the functionality of these devices.

“Well, for one thing, that’s not how these things are intended to be used.”

It’s a drive (or two drives). There’s nothing in the manual that says “Only to be used through a router”. Don’t push WD’s usability issues back on the user. There’s nothing on the box or in the manual about the “onus” being on me to configure my ethernet settings.

This is a design flaw.

If I plug into a PC directly via ethernet, I can see the dashboard.

If I plug into a Mac directly via ethernet, I can’t see any dashboard, can’t see /UI or /UI/ssh, WD quickview doesn’t detect the drive, etc etc.

This box is essentially useless to me as a backup device, and I would like answers from WD as to how to make the Mac recognise the drive in Quickview and display the web interface.

scottg wrote:

“Well, for one thing, that’s not how these things are intended to be used.”

It’s a drive (or two drives). There’s nothing in the manual that says “Only to be used through a router”. 

On page 7, under “SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS,” it does indicate a “Router/Switch  (Gigabit recommended to maximize performance.)” is required.

On page 9, it says the network port “Connects the device to a local network.”

On page 11, it says “Connect the other end of the Ethernet cable directly into a router…”

On page 13, it says “connect your My Book Live Duo device to your home or small office network.”

and on and on.

But that’s ultimately beside the point.

In your first post, you said that connecting to your PC directly did NOT work, now you’re saying it does work.  What did you change to allow it to work?

Plugging into your PC via ethernet will very likely work, because most WIndows PC support Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA), as do all of WD’s NASes.

Whether or not MACs support APIPA and whether it’s enabled by default is unknown to me.  Perhaps a Mac user will chime in with more info.

If your MAC supports APIPA, it will dynamically assign itself an address in the 169.254 network (and so will the Duo.)

Assuming your Mac supports it, it will then show up via Quickview, etc.

The WD NASes as well as Apple support mDNS, in which case you should be able to browse to the address

http://mybookliveduo.local

via a web browser and you’ll have access to the dashboard.

But after all that, I have to ask the question:  Why did you buy a network-based storage when, given your requirement that it *not* be on a fully functioning network, a Thunderbolt, USB, or Firewire drive would have been a superior (and less expensive) choice?