Cannot transcode movie from panasonic lumix lx2 to play on WDTV Gen 1 (latest firmware)

I’m looking for a procedure to convert MOV files from the panasonic lumix lx2 that will play back on WDTV (Gen 1, latest firmware).

By default the movies do not play on the WDTV. I’ve tried the supplied software that comes with the WDTV without successful results. The audio is simply corrupted after transcoding.

The movies are MJPEG + PCM STEREO  codec. they *might* be VBR audio. In every trial, the audio is severly delayed. I’ve tried offsetting the audio in with mkvmerge and MediaCoder with no results.

The best result was converting to an AVI using the LAME audio encoder with VBR selected. The audio is still off, but not as much as other trials. The only problem is that I cannot FFwd or Rewind the AVI on WDTV.

If anyone is interested in tackling this issue, I would gladly send a movie created on the panasonic lumix lx2 for transcoding purposes.

Have you tried program VideoReDo? Its compatable with most formats

Try Mediainfo to see what Audio format it has.

On the Panasonic Camera I have, it’s PCM 8 bit 8hz.

I tried Handbrake, but it seems to reencode to 22,0x Hz so the audio is like mice speaking :slight_smile:

I hope WD can add support for this, I 've seen under linux some Libmjpeg library, hopefully, easy for them to add…

thanks

@OP - have you tried SUPER?  It supports a wide range of audio and video formats.

Programs I have tried for converting video files from the Lumix LX2:

-Handbrake

-Super

-Virtualdub

-ArcSoft (the one that came with the WDTV)

-Media Convert

-vlc

Add to the list, Quicktime Pro version 7.x

Export as video: H.264, audio:  linear PCM, Mono, 8kHz, Sample size: 8 bit. Rename the file XXX.mp4 after conversion.

This also played back the audio offset (slow), but was LESS slow than all the other converters I tried.

Any insight folks? I’m looking for conversion/transcoding options, as I’ve tried a lot of programs with the same results

Programs I have tried for converting video files from the Lumix LX2:

-Handbrake

-Super

-Virtualdub

-ArcSoft (the one that came with the WDTV)

-Media Convert

-vlc

Hi arrakis

did you get it working ? :slight_smile:

thanks

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-General/Cannot-play-NASA-s-mov-files/td-p/6394

txto RichUK

MPEG Streamclip: video converter for Mac & Windows

MPEG Streamclip is a powerful free video converter, player, editor for Mac and Windows. It can play many movie files, not only MPEGs; it can convert MPEG files between muxed/demuxed formats for authoring; it can encode movies to many formats, including iPod; it can cut, trim and join movies. 

http://www.squared5.com/

is this an ad for this software?

no, I have not got it working yet.

any ideas anyone anyone?

check if smplayer is able to play the clip, if it can, mencoder should be able to convert it

HtH

check if smplayer is able to play the clip, if it can, mencoder should be able to convert it

Thanks! 2 quick questions…

What is smplayer and mencoder? I will google them but could you give a quick explain as to why these to applications for everyones benefit?

After searching, I’ve found very little info on converting files from this popular camera, for the WDTV. This thread might become very useful in the future!

Update!!!

MPEG Streamclip – This application seems to have work! I will try it on some of my older, larger movies, but we may have a conversion solution here!

There’s a freeware app called Format Factory that might help you.

Converts everything. Here’s a link if interested:  http://www.formatoz.com

samol

erockachocalot wrote:> What is smplayer and mencoder?

smplayer is a GUI for mplayer, www.mplayerhq.hu

mencoder is a part of the mplayer project

Oh, mplayer is a Media Player :dizzy_face:

I told you it would work, it’s not an add, just working :slight_smile: