Cannot see My Cloud in Windows Explorer

I understand that this topic has been covered on various other posts, but from every post/website I’ve gone through, nothing seems to be working for me.

I have a My Cloud Home (WDBVXC0030HWT-NESN), am operating on Windows 10 laptop with a Netgear XR500 router, and am accessing the internet through the ProtonVPN desktop app.

Without enabling SMBv1 I can’t even see the My Cloud under Network in Windows Explorer.
With enabling SMBv1 I can see My Cloud but it won’t let me access anything on it.
… but I understand there are security risks with enabling SMBv1, which I’m not willing to do.

I have enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP. My network connection is configured so it’s a “Private” network, all of my network sharing options are on, I have Windows Credentials set up for three various possible “names” for My Cloud…

Altough I am moderately tech-savvy, I’m out of my depths here and don’t even know where to begin looking for the issue.

After more digging, it seems that I need to have WD Discovery installed in order for My Cloud to show up. Is there a work around to this yet?