Cannot see my book live on network

Hello everyone

I have a My Book Live 3 TB NAS, and was recently uploading files for backing up to the drive.  I forgot that the upload was going on, and briefly unplugged my modem while I was doing a little home networking.  After i plugged the modem back in, nothing on my network was able to see the my book live.  Previous shortcuts to the device don’t work.  The device still shows its typical green light (active) and blue light (spun down), and the indication from my switch is that the device is successfully connected to through the ethernet port.

I have tried unplugging the NAS and plugging it back in, and have also swapped out the ethernet cable and this did not help either.

What could have happened and how can I fix this issue?  if I cant fix the NAS, is there any way to recover the data?

Help me WD community, you are my only hope.

Hi,

It is hard to see how that interruption could damage the MBL. If the modem was involved in the transfer I could see having some corrupted data, but not the OS. Were files coming/going over the modem to the MBL?

My first thought is to use the hardware reset button which is recessed on the back of the unit. Hold it down for a good long time, like 15-20 seconds. Manuals say something like 3-5 seconds, but I have seen a correction on that in the Knowledge Base. This kind of reset will not affect your data, but it will reset the password and net address to the defaults: admin and DHCP (auto IP address).

Are you running WD Quick View? If so, after the MBL finishes rebooting (3-5 minutes), can you get to the Dashboard via Quick View? If not, you should be able to get to the NAS through the Windows Explorer address bar with \MYBOOKLIVE.

If the above doesn’t get it, you might try the full network power cycle. Shut everything down: modem, router, switch, NAS; then bring them back online in that order.

Kieren wrote:

If the above doesn’t get it, you might try the full network power cycle. Shut everything down: modem, router, switch, NAS; then bring them back online in that order.

This is the first suggestion I’d try.  From your symptoms, it just sounds like the Master Browser (part of Microsoft Networking) got hosed up.   Doing the above should remedy it.

Sounds good to me!

Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll try power down the whole network then trying it again.

Hwoever, I also want to update my post with some more information.  

While i was not able to before I made this post, I just updated the firmware on my WD tv Live, and it ca now see the My Book Live, but my windows pc cannot.  Does that make any sense?

The WD Live is probably finding it via DLNA.   

The WINDOWS discovery process is more complex, and won’t work if what was described above is actually the problem.

So I tried both solutions and both to no avail.  I unplugged the modem, router, switch and MBL, then plugged the modem, router, switch and MBL back in in those orders, leaving plenty of time between each step.  after that failed i tried holding down the reset button for 30 seconds, I saw no sign that the NAS had restarted itself, but then let it sit for 10 minutes and still could not access it over the network.

should there be any kind of a sign when using the hard reset?  should it spin down and back up? is there anything else OI could be missing or could do?

mmcguinness87 wrote:

should there be any kind of a sign when using the hard reset?  should it spin down and back up? is there anything else OI could be missing or could do?

I think the LED should go through some changes. I don’t remember exactly what the sequence would be. It seems that it should include some flashing green, at least. Regardless, I think it would be obvious that something was going on.

I would try it, but I don’t have time right now to deal with restoring all the settings on mine.

30 seconds is WAAAAAY to long.  You only need to hold it for 4 seconds.   

Could be that 30 seconds just doesn’t do anything at all.   The reset-button behavior is software controlled, so if they didn’t program it for a 30-second push, then who knows what it’s doing.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

30 seconds is WAAAAAY to long.  You only need to hold it for 4 seconds.   

Could be that 30 seconds just doesn’t do anything at all.   The reset-button behavior is software controlled, so if they didn’t program it for a 30-second push, then who knows what it’s doing.

My bad. I read a Knowledge Base entry that said the manual understated the time for a reset. I have tried to find the article again, but have come up empty. I’ll drop that unless I can find the documentation.

when you log into your router, do you see the MBL show up as an attached device?