Cannot safely remove

New to WD!  I just installed WD and did my first backup… I can’t “safely Remove” it now, because it says I need to close all running programs. How do I do this,-- I closed my internet browser and just have desktop running.  This is really not a WD question, just a novice user question.  Have WD 750 portable external drive, and a desktop computer tunning Windows Vista.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

if Write-Caching is not enabled in windows is not necessary to use  safely remove.

Are you sure, you can any time, e.g. when a WD external drive is frequently writing, plug its USB connector off unless Windows Write-Cashing is enabled ? In general, it sounds unbelieveable!

Can WD seriously confirm this feature?

Imagine, a long file is being written. When you break the connection during the transmission, what happens with the file just being written?

Will it safely “not appear at all” on the external drive? (It may be OK unless the WD external drive structure was corrupted, simultaneously)

Will only a fragment of the file be written and corretly named, etc.? (It can hardly be OK)

Imagine a long file is being read. When you break the connection during the transmission, what happens with the file just being read?

Will Windows/application generate an error message like “Reading failed” with all standard consequences? (It may be OK)

Will Windows/application get only a fragment of the file, corretly named, etc.? (It can hardly be OK)