Cannot reclaim space after deleting files/folders

Several months ago I purchased a My Cloud Home, 4tb. I previously owned two My Clouds, a 2t and a 4t. I had to eventually abandon them as they were problematic when it came to making backups.

My 4t My Cloud Home is plugged into a Smart Outlet so that I can access it only when I need it. Since there is no way to put it to “sleep” or Idle it, this works well for me. I use my phone to turn it on to either back up or access files, then I turn it off. This works very well for me.

Brand new out-of-the-box, WD Discovery shows 3.5t free – what the “system” needs to tie up 500 g of space is beyond me, but it’s not a problem.

What IS a problem: I recently tried to delete around 500 gigs of my data to make room for new. This was a multi-hour process, after which calling up the directory of the drive shows that the data has been removed. Before deleting, the system showed there was 24% free space. After all the deletions, it is STILL showing 24% free space.

After reading other posts, it seems that the actual freeing up of space (not merely freeing the directory entries) is a multi DAY process that runs in the background. Because of this, I have left the power applied to the drive for the past week or so, so it would have time to do it’s thing. I did power it off then back on once or twice during this process to see if it needed that to “refresh”. No change, still showing 24% free.

It has been several days now, as I mentioned, and I’m still showing 24% free space.
My question now, obviously, is how do I get my free space back? Am I going to have to reformat the drive and wipe out everything? (Not certain how to do that either, as a matter of fact.)
Someone, PLEASE tell me how to get back my reclaimed drive space.
Thank you!

@davidmac82948 please contact Technical Support https://support.wdc.com/support/case.aspx?lang=en and provide the MCH on-demand debug logs How to Collect My Cloud Home On-Device Debug Logs

@davidmac82948 was your problem solved?? my 4tb mch has also missed 500gb

Yes, it’s all good now. I just needed to wait a while before the space showed up.

1 Like

How long did you wait??

I am also having the same problem. I deleted almost 200 - 300 GB of data. Now it has been 3 weeks but still “my cloud home” in my windows 10 laptop is showing the same free space that was before deleting those files. Is there any permanent fix for this problem? If yes - please share.