Cannot play large MKV video files

I bought WD TV Live HD Media Player and was very happy with it except it cannot play larger MKV video files (larger than 1 gig in size) from a 2 TB USB external drive.

Once chosed the large MKV video and cannot play it, I could not play any other video like avi, mov etc.  I have to turn it off then switch it back on again so I can play other video.

When will Western Digital update the firmware so we can play large MKV video files?

Thanks in advance

The problem is either your file or the drive.   There’s no problems playing MKVs.   I’ve tested MKVs larger than 30 Gbytes with no issues at all.

Thank you for replying. I can play smaller MKV video files but not a higher resolution like 720 and 1080. So if I can play MKV, why not the larger ones?

Because they are not properly ripped/muxed and/or use unsupported codecs?

Update: Now it’s working fine since I’ve updated with latest firmware. Luckily, after it rebooted itself after updated, the logo just got stuck on TV screen for two hours so I had to unplugged the power cable (remote could not do anything) and when I put the power back on, it started update again and voila, it rebooted proplerly this time.

Can now plays large MKV but does not recognise Quicktime mov video, is that normal?

deafo wrote:

Can now plays large MKV but does not recognise Quicktime mov video, is that normal?

It depends on what codecs are used inside that MOV file.

Can you please tell me what Quicktime Mov video does WD TV Live accept? Thanks

So I’ll know next time whenever I make DVD slideshow in mov format

See this KB article:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2698/kw/supported+media/session/L3RpbWUvMTI5NzI2MjE0MS9zaWQvaWptZ0RibWs%3D

Thank  you Tony, that’ll be great help, cheers mate:wink: