Cannot Open Windows 7 on WD Blue after Cloning

Hi,

I have an old Lenovo T410, and I wanted to upgrade the hard drive to an SSD. I bought a 3 NAND SSD, 250 GB (doubling the HDD size), cloned the drive, and changed the BIOS to boot with ACHI mode. Windows looks like its about to start, but I get the blue screen of death 2 seconds into the load. I took a picture of the error message. Is this a Windows issue, or a SSD issue?

Any pointers to what to do next are appreciated.

If SATA mode was not set to AHCI before you cloned you cannot just change it. If the OS was originally installed in IDE mode then it will not have the AHCI driver enabled so it will not boot.

You will need to change the SATA mode back to what it was boot into your original HDD and make the registry changes listed below. After that is done you can change the SATA mode to AHCI and it should boot. Then you can clone the HDD to the SSD.

Drlucky, you really came to the rescue. Than-you! I tried your fix (backed up my registry first) and…hey presto! It all worked really well. problem solved. A couple of notes - when you change to AHCI and restart, there are a bunch of drivers that re-install (don’t worry - it takes quite a few minutes, so be patient). Also the microsoft support message is badly worded - the “start” thing that you are looking for in the registry is one of the files, not something you are missing in the headers.

I had this same issue and i went to the wd retailer and they said that its not windows 10s fault but SSDs fault, specifically the firmware. So i got a replacement and now windows works no issues.

My issue was with windows 7, so not quite the same.