Cannot map private shares on mycloud from windows 7 home premium

Hi,

Was trying to map private shares on mycloud 4TB using my PC running win 7 home premium.

Keep getting access denied messages after I typed in the credentials.

used the following formats,

LOCALPCNAME\myclouduseraccount

MYCLOUDNAME\myclouduseraccount

\myclouduseraccount

all no joy.

I’d scoured the internet and tried various methods,

1. registry hacks (tweaking lm & ntlm, encrypted passwords, smb1, smb2, etc.)

2. tweaking and cycling and reseting various settings in the (network and sharing center->advanced sharing settings)

3. uninstalled KB2536276

4. deleted all previous maps and cleared histories

problem persisted.

no problem mapping public folders though. only private folders is having problem…

from the looks of things it seems windows 7 was not able to pass the correct sign on information to mycloud.

I know I can still use WD My Cloud application on my PC to get things done.

But I would like to be able to map the shares to my PC.

any thoughts?

Thanks.

just thought to add that i keep my pc current with the various microsoft patches.

if there’s any patches that causing this problem?..

well when I type in my credentials, my username has no backslash or other prefixes. 

Mapping the Devices as a drive

This is how I’ve been using the NAS device by mapping the device as a local drive. 

On the PC, 

1, click on computer

1. click on map network drive

2. click on browse under “what network folder would you like to map”

3. click on WDMYCLOUD and if your shares has a userid and password, it will prompt you for it at this time

4. you will see all your shares, select the one you want, Public is the default start up share

5. click ok and click finish

a. or you can connect using different credentials… click finish

type in your username and password exactly as you had created them on the Cloud with no prefixes or backslashes.

1. you can now see the NAS as a mapped drive in your Computer (treat it just like a local drive).

hope this helps…

Hi Ralphael,

thanks for your post.

However that was the first thing I did.

Only after it didn’t work, that I started trying all the various methods including specifying the domain and failing that I even made sure it’s not part of the authentication data that’s sent to mycloud.

problem persisted…

somebody once mentioned that the desktop remote app installs bonjour services and the domain name doesn’t matter. However just to be sure, there is a field on the Cloud that you can add your domain name which should be the same as your PC. It may be adding the domain name as a prefix automatically which is why it might not be recognized by the Cloud.

I do know that you don’t need to add any prefixes, suffixes or backslashes to your username when logging on.

I think that is all I can think of…

If you have all ready mapped to the NAS you wiil have to delete that, and then map to your private shares.

That error occurs because you’ve already logged into your NAS using a different user name.

Windows doesn’t allow that (and it’s the ONLY operating system with such a limitation.)

See Etupes’ post on how to clear the cached connections.

The syntax is 

net use * /delete

1 Like

jdecker wrote:

If you have all ready mapped to the NAS you wiil have to delete that, and then map to your private shares.

That error occurs because you’ve already logged into your NAS using a different user name.

Windows doesn’t allow that (and it’s the ONLY operating system with such a limitation.)

See Etupes’ post on how to clear the cached connections.

The syntax is 

net use * /delete

excellent!! my knowledge base has been updated… thanks!!  passing out the kudos…