Cannot install Smartware update

Hi

Running Windows XP and MyBookLive 2TB plus Norton Internet Security.  Got Smartware Update message. 

Updated .NET Framework 4 Extended and checked with Microsoft Update and no critical updates needed.  Then started to update to V 2 Smartware. 

Update failed with a message: “There is a problem with this Windows Installer package.  A programme run as part of the setup did not finish as expected.  Contact your support personnel or package vendor.” 

After it had rolled back the install, it removed the Smartware icon from the tray.

Found the SmartWare share in MyBookLive.  Reinstalled Smartware 1.6.  This loaded.  Tried updating to V 2.0 again.  Same result. 

Have tried to remove Smartware Drive Manager from Control Panel in case this was snagging the process, but it won’t complete the removal.  I get the same message again:“There is a problem with this Windows Installer package.  A programme run as part of the setup did not finish as expected.  Contact your support personnel or package vendor.”  Then I gate another message from Add / Remove programs: “Fatal error during installation.”

Can you help me to:

a) remove the WD Drive Manager programme if this is necessary;

b) help me to load Smartware V2 successfully?

Thanks.

Make sure you disable Norton while doing the update.

Double check the minimum requirement for Smartware on the link bellow:

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/wdsmartwareupdate/nas.asp