Cannot find disc on Windows explorer

Hi, When inserting disc cable, I only get the CD Drive WD unlocker icon when opening my computer to view avilable discs. I have tried to open the unlocker, but when doing so I get the message " The drive is not locked. To open a different WD drive, please WD Drive unlock CD…" The disc Icon is not there and when trying to open files on the drive I get the message " path or file name for file … is invalid" I have recently changed main board on the computer. I don’t know if that makes any change. Could someone please advice how to open the disc again?

Hello,

I recommend you try some basic troubleshooting:

1- Disconnect the drive from the computer and restart the computer.

2- If the computer is a desktop, connect it on the back USB port (directly to the PC, not through a hub).

3- Make sure you hear the connection sound windows makes when recognizes a USB device.

4- Go to "Disk Management” to verify if the drive shows up there.

If the drive shows up in disk management but it is not seen on Computer, then it means the partition is corrupted and you will have to format it in order to use it again. Please note that formatting the drive will delete all data stored on it.

Thanks for the feedback. The disk shows up in Device Mangager and states that it is working properly.

But I simply cannot just reformat the disk without knowing that all possible causes are determined and tests are done to open the data. If anyone has other things I could try, I would be greatfull to hear.

If not, I think I need to find other supplyers thatn WE for my next hard drive.  This is supposed to be my back-up drive.