Cannot enable file sharing

Hi,

I just purchased the WD TV Live Hub.

Connected it successfully to router and internet via wireless connection.

Have existing home network with file sharing.

Have the Hub mapped as drive on PC and can access it and transfer files to it.

However, I cannot access the shared folders on my Windows XP computer.

I get the “Unable to connect to the selected location…” error when selecting network shares on the Hub.

I have not had any issues with other devices accessing the network (receiver, iPhone, second computer).

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Could be a security issue. For basic testing (although I would not keep it this way) set the permissions for the shared directory to full access for the group “Everyone” and see if that works. If it does, you will know it is a password issue.

For windows machines, I have found the “Microsoft Management Console” to be a great tool to manage your shares and permissions for them. I am not sure if it comes with an icon for it, but you can run it from the start menu by typing “fsmgmt.msc” and hitting enter. A nice tool to manage all your share points, including adding new ones.

Good Luck

-P

Sharing is only an issue for the Hub.

I did not originally have a password on my PC but added one when I saw a thread that suggested that the Hub would only connect to a computer with a user name and password (something I thought was stupid but tried anyway).

Later, I saw a message on the PC that said there was an ip conflict with another device on the network, but didn’t see it again so I’m not sure if that is the issue.

I have also noticed that the Windows Shares device detected by the Hub is not identified by the name it’s known by on the network.  The detected device is just a 9 or 10 number sequence (eg 3785600000), so I guess I’m not even sure that it’s the PC thats detected, though I’ve assumed that it is because I don’t have any other device active on the network.

Another thing I tried was disabling the firewall and antivirus program, to no avail.

sewildman50 wrote:

Later, I saw a message on the PC that said there was an ip conflict with another device on the network, but didn’t see it again so I’m not sure if that is the issue.

Don’t know if is *THE* issue, but it certainly is an issue you need to correct…