"Cannot connect to this device" for My Could Using Remote App Remotely

I used my email got the icon on the my cloud app where it says Choose your device. Clicked on it and got can’t connect to device.

no explanation , no error code, nothing even unique where I can look it up in the knowledge base.

What is the problem?

Ok, gotta clear something up – In your subject line, you mention “Remote App” … the WD Remote App is for the WDTV Media Players.

Do you mean the My Cloud app?  I’ll assume you did.

So when you’re on your local network, the app should auto discover your NAS.   When you click it, it will ask for user, then password, etc.

If you’re away from your NAS, you will have needed to generated an Access Code via your NAS’s User Interface, then do a Manual Connect, pick the device, and enter the access code.

The third method is to log in via the My Cloud service on the app – not the Choose your Device icons.  There you would put in your registered email address and password.

Which method are you trying?

I’m not on the network. I am across town in a different building on a computer with the desktop remote app trying to connect to my cloud in my home using my email and password signon. I get the cloud icon with my LAN ip address on it. But , no connecty.

Please post some screen shots. I don’t understand what you’re seeing that has a LAN IP address…

I’m not sure if you can see the IP below it as they thought it was a good idea to dim it when the uninformative error message was displayed. Horrible programming.

It says 192.168.200.151

So I will have to assume the desktop app is defective i guess or the cloud does not work with the WD Cloud Desktop app.

alan93 wrote:

So I will have to assume the desktop app is defective i guess or the cloud does not work with the WD Cloud Desktop app.

Of course the desktop app works with the mycloud. I would assume that your problem is something to do with your other post where you say that your mycloud has no internet access. You can connect to something over the internet if the device you are connecting to has no internet access.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud-Mobile-Apps/Settings-General-Connection-Status-No-Internet-Access/td-p/643063

How do you connect it to the internet so that this important information changes to connected?

Can’t find it in the help.

All it says is that when you are away from home you can easily connect to it. This definitely ain’t easy.

Iits like My Book LIve it looks pretty complicated.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud-Mobile-Apps/My-Book-Live-has-no-internet-access/m-p/299678/highlight/true#M639

richUK wrote:

You can connect to something over the internet if the device you are connecting to has no internet access.

Thanks for the tip. I finally figured out that I needed to setup port forwarding on my router.

Thanks so much for your “honerable contributions”.