Cannot Connect Smartphone to My Passport Wirelessly

I’ve searched through the forums for a similar issue to mine but could not find one so I’m thinking I might have an isolated case?

My Xiaomi Max smartphone running on Nougat is unable to connect to my WDMP wirelessly. It never worked right from the beginning so I thought it must be the firmware. I’ve upgraded it to the latest version but still no go. I tried to connect it via the WDMP app and also a no go. My phone can see the drive but it just won’t connect. It works on my sister’s old Asus phone though which is running on Kitkat so I guess its rules out damage to the drive. I’m just not sure where the problem lies.

I bought this product because of the wireless connection capability it has with smartphones and other devices without needing a router so it’s a bummer that I could not get it to work with my Max.

Any advise you guys have for me?

This is probably a compatibility issue. There was a similar post in the Community regarding a Xiaomi Max device. The Passport Wireless only supports WPA2 Personal encryption. The other user could connect to their drive with other devices, just not the Xiaomi. I have escalated this for investigation. If you can just validate the types of encryption your model of phone supports?

@Timothy_G thanks for the quick reply. I’ve checked the specs sheet for Max and its says it supports Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA, hotspot. As for the encryption, it supports WEP, WPA/WPA2 PSK, 802.1x EAP, WAPI PSK, and WAPI CERT. I hope that helps.

I also tried connecting to the WDMP a friend’s newer model Xiaomi phone running on Marshmallow but we have the same problem so it’s starting to look like a compatibility issue. You think a future firmware upgrade can fix this? Or is this compatibility problem hardware dependent?

I can’t say for sure that this can be resolved but the information is being sent to the proper departments.

@Timothy_G thank you. I look forward to an update

I use Mi Max & Mi Max 2 same result, wifi can’t connect
even default setting no password

but I use a very old model Red Mi is OK
and my wife’s Sony Xperia also OK

Hi, have there been any progress on this? My Xiaomi mi5x also cannot connect to My Passport Wireless, which is frustrating because that is all I bought it for. Can anyone help me resolve the issue please?