Cannot backup my selected folders on My Cloud

Using Windows 8 with current firmware. I have set up My Cloud to backup my WD 500 external hard drive (is my F drive on my computer. All working files are housed on it). It is correctly set up on Smartware Home Tab: Backup Source WD 500(F) → to WD My Cloud, Vicki. The Backup Tab shows all F drive files selected and checked. Two old .pst files show in the → box (files, size, type, date) and I don’t know why. And I can’t remove them. Problem 1.

Problem 2 is when I backup, none of the updated/current F Drive files are getting backed up. Only the original, first-time backup show up.

If I set to category backup, it seems to work, but again, nothing current shows.The last updated file is 4/16/15.

I’ve read all the help files I could find but I seem to be doing things right.

I could use some instructions and help.Is my alternative to uninstall/delete/?? Start over? Is there an alternative to using the Smartware and still having scheduled backups? What are my options? I’ve never encountered this with other backup devices in the past, so I’m confused and frustrated.

Thanks,
Vicki

Does that include reading through the Smartware User Manual? If not perhaps there is something relevant in the Smartware User Manual to address or explain your two issues.

On a side note, it seems Smartware is hit or miss for some people. Others have resorted to using third party backup software that support backing up to an NAS drive (like the My Cloud). Or use “sync” programs like FreeFileSync or Microsoft SyncToy to backup and or sync.

One other note. Make sure the Outlook .PST files are not in use by Outlook when a backup is performed (by either Smartware or another backup/sync program). Typically Outlook will prevent or block certain backup / sync software from being able to backup a PST file if it is currently open in Outlook.

https://avatars.discourse.org/v2/letter/v/43a26b/40.png VickiB:

I’ve read all the help files I could find but I seem to be doing things right.

Does that include reading through the http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705057.pdf Smartware User Manual? If not perhaps there is something relevant in the Smartware User Manual to address or explain your two issues.

•      I have and while the manual states that the folder structure should contain all the folders checked, it doesn’t. As you can see from the print screen, it doesn’t. It only contains the two old .pst files which are NOT part of my F drive. I can’t remove the .pst files and don’t know how to make the software “see” my checked folders. Also, I can’t find a trouble shooting section in the manual.

On a side note, it seems Smartware is hit or miss for some people. Others have resorted to using third party backup software that support backing up to an NAS drive (like the My Cloud). Or use “sync” programs like http://www.freefilesync.org/ FreeFileSync or https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15155 Microsoft SyncToy to backup and or sync.

If that’s the case, why have the WD and the Smartware software? I’m not being argumentative, I just don’t understand. Can you suggest a good, reliable, easy-to-use backup software? I’m not certain the difference between backup and sync in this scenario.

One other note. Make sure the Outlook .PST files are not in use by Outlook when a backup is performed (by either Smartware or another backup/sync program). Typically Outlook will prevent or block certain backup / sync software from being able to backup a PST file if it is currently open in Outlook.

The .pst files are old ones and not used by Outlook; however, I closed Outlook and tried to set up again, and they are still there.

I appreciate your response, but if there is any further help you can give, I would be grateful. Should I just uninstall the software and try again? I really don’t want to do that, but I will if I can’t get this fixed…

Thanks,

Vicki

To respond, reply to this email or https://community.wd.com/t/cannot-backup-my-selected-folders-on-my-cloud/144340/2 visit the topic.

If that’s the case, why have the WD and the Smartware software?

That sounds like you think Bennor works for WD; he doesn’t. This is a user forum, not a WD support site.

Why have WD software? They’re trying to offer a complete solution. I don’t think they do a great job with their software, so I avoid it where possible. I use FreeFileSync for backups like you’re doing. I use it to create a script that I run when I’ve finished working on the computer, which backs up any changes, and then shuts down the PC.

Sync is a form of backup, that looks for differences between two discs and tries to make them the same, usually using the latest files from either disc.

Mirroring is another type of backup, which will make the backup disc track all changes to the working disc (delete, edit, add).

Version control backup will keep old file versions.

I use sync and mirroring with FreeFileSync.

Since I don’t use SmartWare, I can’t help with that, other than to suggest you try the uninstall/re-install you suggested; the classic IT support standby…

VickiB, Not sure why Smartware is listing those two PST files. it is hard to see from the image you posted where Smartware thinks those files reside on that F drive (in the root of the drive or in a subfolder). Like I indicated, Smartware is hit or miss at times.

You’ll have to ask WD directly as to why they included the Smartware and other programs that (for some people) do not always work as advertised. Like most others here I don’t work for WD, I’m just a fellow My Cloud user like yourself who came to this forum seeking help for a specific issue and staid to help/assist others.

The software WD includes or offers for the My Cloud are product enhancements (when they work). The user can choose to use them or find third party solutions (as some have done). Currently for remote access the use of WD programs is almost a requirement unless one is willing to dig into the My Cloud firmware or roll their own VPN solution to access their local network.

While I don’t generally offer recommendations on backup software, there are backup programs like the popular Acronis True Image that should be able to backup to the My Cloud. Generally and superficially the difference between a backup program and a sync program is how the data is backed up. Typically backup programs create a single file that contains all of the backup data. That file is typically only accessible by using the program that create that backup file. Further typically that backup file will be compressed to reduce its file size. Where as a sync program typically creates a mirror copy of all data that is accessible just as if it was on your hard drive.

Sorry, Bennor, but I have to disagree with your understanding of ‘sync’. Since it is short for ‘synchronize’, it is usually used to refer to something that performs a two-way (or more) synchronisation of files, so changes to any of the discs is replicated on the others. Rather than having a master, and a slave drive, sync treats all drives as peers, and replicates the ‘most recent’ files from any of the discs.

Yes “sync” typically refers to bidirectional copying of files/data. However, in this case I was trying to keep it simple (writing in a hurry) with respect to what the OP was trying to do with Smartware, in this case create a “backup”. As many of us know most sync software programs offers the ability for the user to chose how a sync is performed; bidirectional, one way only, etc. By only sync’ing in one direction one can perform the same function (backing up the files/data) as a backup program typically would do.