Cannot add, delete or view content on My Passport Wireless

I have tried for more than 1 week and called the technical helpdesk twice. Yet they cannot resolve the issue for my passport wireless. The issue appears to the the SMB1 protocol that WD uses on its devices. All the latest windows OS (I am using a Windows 10 OS) uses SMB2 or higher which is not compatiable on WD products.

I have downloaded the firmware package manually as instructed and still encounter the same problem. After close to 2 weeks of trying, I am finally writing off all WD products as they are obsolete and not compatible with Windows OS.

I have no problems like this with my MPW or any other drive. Maybe it is something you, or your equipment have done, or are doing. Don’t be so quick to blame WD for your issues.

Are you using the MPW wirelessly or are you trying to access it being connected to the computer USB port? You really need to include more details of your problem. Have you tried using the My Cloud app? Can you see the Dashboard, etc?

Yes, I am aware that the USB cable has to be disconnected in order to use the wireless feature. And no, I am not using the cloud app as I am using my laptop. I want to be able to transfer files via the wireless mode, otherwise what is the point of buying a wireless external harddisk.

And Yes, I can launch the dashboard. However, I am unable to launch the shortcut feature on the dashboard which states that I will be able to access and add content to my passport wirelessly. Unfortunately this post does not accept screenshot which means I have to manually type in the error message below:
“You can’t connect to the file share because it’s not secur. This share requires the obsolete SMB1 protocol, which is unsafe and could expose your system to attack. Your system requires SMB2 or higher. For more info on resolving this issue, see: https://go.mircosoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=852747.
Well, its obsolete by Mircosoft standard, not my standard.

Thanks for the info. I tried the Microsoft link you gave.and it does not work. Would you please retype it or at least copy and paste it into the message? This is the first time I have read of SMB1 errors on a MPW.

I suggest you contact WD support again, and ask to be transferred to the next higher tier of support. The first support level should have done this.

I would appreciate to know any additional info they give you.

If you type in the link I have provided previously, it will automatically bring you to the following updated link:

You can read all about it on the microsoft page which essentially does not advise user to install SBM1 as it poses certain security risk.

Apologies for the slowness in getting back to you. Life can get busy, as we know
So to continue from where we left off.

Firstly, thanks for sending me the link to the Microsoft Mega Mumbo-Jumbo SMB1 Info Page. (So what exactly did they say???) Whatever.

I am a regular visitor of the WD Forums and have seen a jillion posts about SMB1 issues, especially when it comes to people complaing that they lost/can’t see or access their shares on devices; especially the older ones like WDTV shared drives. Although I have a couple of WDTVs, I never had this issue with my Win 7 nor Win 10 Creator update. My WDTV plays my media files just fine, and much of my media is stored on a WD My Cloud NAS I can access from home and remotely.

I DID have issues with Win 10, especially with the auto-install.and it was so bad it took over 15+ hours of online remote access to my PC from THREE ascending levels of Microsoft Support techs, each working many hours to fix the issue. I was quite POed at Microsoft for the failure, but at least the last rep helped until she found the issue and got my PC running right again. So, I am no fan of the Win 10 Creator and not a defender of the lousy OS.

You are probably going to hate me for saying this, but I have NO problems with any of my gadgets like others and you have with them being made inoperable by what’s going on with Win 10 and SMB1 on my Win 10. Win 7 or any of over 40-50 devices I use via wired or wireless connections at home or away. I even have 4 wireless drives and all work fine with it. My earliest Wireless drive is by Seagate called the GoFlex Satellite, I later got a MPW gen 1, and recently got the new MPW SSD wireless drive ( a snall capacity one). I even have a Sandisk Connect Wireless Stick flash drive I travel with in my pocket. One thing I do when I use them at home is that they are all connected to my network (WD calls it connect to the internet) and they work much faster and better this way. Nevertheless, when I travel they sometime need to connect to the weaker, inferior MPW internal wireless signal, but I always avoid that when used at home. If you have not got your MPW connected to your network, then do it, ASAP!

I have been thinking why you cannot get to first base with your MPW and I have a history of home runs? Maybe it is how I use it compared to you. Well, I rarely use the MPW fur home use. It contains much of my media collection (music and movies) that travels with us when we vacation. I don’t need to use it at home, and never use it for work-related tasks with a computer; it mostly is used wirelessly to stream music and movies to iPhones and iPads by using the My Cloud app or even better apps. You need to try the My Cloud app and see how well the MPW works with it.

But tonight, I tried using the MPW how I envision you might want to use it on a computer, but NOT with the lame mycloud.com I have never seen a good reason to use of it. I just used it on the Win 10 to access the MPW on the network instead of via iPad

I played a challenging video made from a blu-ray disk, and it played fine on the Win 10 laptop.
I copied a video on the MPW to the Win 10 desktop and it played fine
I copied a video from the Win 10 to the MPW and it played fine.

No where was SMB1 ever an issue. One last tip: NEVER copy more than one file between MPW and any computer via wireless, because it is too darn slow. When I populate my wireless drives, I connect them to the PC USB port and do the copying that way.

I hope my chatter here gives you ideas of how to solve some of your problems It’s too bad you have the issues and hate your MPW when I have successes and love all my wireless drives.

Good luck with fixing it all. Let me know if I can help any further.