Cannot access/identify EX2 from Windows 8

Hi guys,

Hope someone can help me here.

Got these error msgs during setup “You may not be able to copy files to/from the device”, “Browse the device’s shared folders”, “Map a shared folder”. So it is true when I try to add network location/map network drive in Windows8 file explorer, it says path not find,etc. I have tried many suggestions e.g. disable Norton firewall, turn on network discovery, etc. but no luck. I notice the IP address of the device changes so then I select static IP address. The EX2 works fine through your apps though. Been quite frustrated about this for quite sometime. Hope you can help me with this.

Thanks James

I was never able to map my EX2 as a network device on either Win 8 or Win 7.  I set up shortcuts on the desktop to the Shares and/or folder I want to get to quickly.

Find the device in your Windows Explorer under Network

Drill down to the folder you want

Right click on the folder

Select “Send to”  Desktop (create shortcut)

1 Like

kattmandu wrote:

I was never able to map my EX2 as a network device on either Win 8 or Win 7. 

And why weren’t you able to map a drive, when to map it in Win 7 the steps are so similar to the process you outlined for creating a shortcut? (see screenshot taken after right-clicking on the share following your steps). Win 8 steps may slightly vary or might be same (I don’t have a Win 8 machine).

To map a drive to an EX2 share:

Find the device in your Windows Explorer under Network

Drill down to the folder you want

Right click on the folder

Choose “Map Network Drive…”

Choose drive letter you want to map the share to (and any other options like reconnect at logon, etc.)

Result → Drive is mapped to EX2 share

Mapped Drive To EX2.jpg

1 Like

Hi kattmandiu,

The problem is that although there is the EX2 under network, clicking it gets me back to the WD Dashboard, not the actual folders…

JL

Hi cybernut1,

Thanks for the detailed guidelines.

I am aware of the steps but when I tried to insert the network location by typing the  \server\folder (correct spelling I swear), it gave an error msg “cannot find network path”. And when trying to map the network drive, it also cannot find the EX2.

In IE, I can see the server but when I click on it, it takes me directly to the WB dashboard, not the actual folders.

It just seems the server is not visible directly. Suspecting there may be issues with the router, I have just reset it to factory setting. Still no luck.

JL 

JamesLe wrote:

Hi cybernut1,

Thanks for the detailed guidelines.

I am aware of the steps but when I tried to insert the network location by typing the  \server\folder (correct spelling I swear), it gave an error msg “cannot find network path”. And when trying to map the network drive, it also cannot find the EX2.

In IE, I can see the server but when I click on it, it takes me directly to the WB dashboard, not the actual folders.

It just seems the server is not visible directly. Suspecting there may be issues with the router, I have just reset it to factory setting. Still no luck.

JL 

James,

Wait a minute!!! I just noticed one BIG problem with your network address - it should have been \server\folder ( ONE backslash before folder name not TWO like you used ). I bet THIS was the reason it didn’t work. The double backslashes are always used to indicate server name…everything after that, no matter how many levels of directory tree you are going down, should only have a single backslash.

If this resolves your issue, please feel free to give me another kudos by clicking on the star on the left (appreciate your other kudos on my previous post). Also, mark this post as a solution for the beneft of others, if it resolves your issue.

cybernut1,

Nice catch…but that was my typo in this msg thread. The actual typing in the network address is 100% correct.

Thanks

JL

Okay…yeah, then I am out of ideas. You should have been able to see it in Windows explorer (not IE - IE or any other browser is to get dashboard access).

But I also find it hard to imagine that it’s a router issue…I could be wrong…but I somehow suspect it’s a Windows issue. Anyway, good luck…without more details, I can’t think of anything else at the moment.