Cannot access drive or login to DL4100 OS interface a few days after upgrade

I am looking for some advise. I have a DL4100 which I upgraded to OS5 running with 2 4TB HDD and 2 8TB HDD both running as separate RAID 1 drives. The disks seem to disconnect from the computer/network and it can take a min or so to reconnect. I did recently receive a file system check failed alert. I am backing up the drives on two different external drives and was planning to wipe everything fully reformat and start over.

Also, I have noticed since installing OS5 that my CPU is at or close to 100% most of the time and it keeps indexing, then fails, and then starts the cycle again. Thoughts? Could this be due to a drive error which could be fixed with reformatting and re-configuring.

Probably the biggest question is about the best way to reconfigure. I was considering setting them up as a RAID 10 configuration, but as I was reading I found some conflicting info on how that would work with two drive pairs of different sizes. Is there a way to properly set up the drives to get a total of 10TB (4+6) or will I be limited to 8TB total. Is Raid 10 performance that much better than separate RAID 1s?

Thanks,

Mike

@MDC,

My Cloud OS 5 is creating a better way to upload, access and share your content. After the update has completed, the My Cloud device will scan all the loaded content and get your device ready for the My Cloud OS 5 experience. While this occurs, the My Cloud device may not respond at the same rate prior to the update.

Allow the content Indexing and Generating Previews processes to finish. The completion time will vary depending on the amount and type of content being indexed.

We do not recommend rebooting the device unless there’s a scanning error since rebooting will restart the indexing process.

Also, RAID 10 is similar with RAID 1E as it would also combine the stripping of the disks in RAID 0 and the mirroring in RAID 1, but a minimum of 4 drives in the RAID Set will be needed. This RAID set would group the drives in pairs of two and within that group, and those pairs will mirror each other within the group. Just like RAID 1 and 1E, RAID 10 will cut the total capacity of the RAID set in half.

Thanks for your response. I have been running OS5 for months now. OS5 was definitely a big improvement on OS3 . . . at least up to now, if it turns out to be an OS problem. The firmware update on May 19 was an update was to 5.22.113 from the 5.21.104 update on Mar 22, 2022. So I do not believe it would be the indexing issue as that should have been completed when I originally updated to OS5. Correct?

@Neha_07 ,

In addition, even if the CPU was tied up with indexing or some other process(es), I believe it should still respond to a ping. At least it has in the past. Correct? I ran an IP scanner and did not find any IP address that I was not able to identify, nor does my router DHCP server indicate that it assigned an IP to the NAS. I also ran the arp -a command from my PC to search for the two NAS ethernet port MAC addresses with no luck. ???

@Neha_07 ,

Sorry for any confusion. My email link opened up an old post rather than the new one I started a few days ago, which I thought I was responding to. My OS5 (with automated firmware updates) has been running great until after the most recent update. Now I am dead in the water!! New post - Cannot access or ping DL4100, Recent firmware 5.22.133 update