Can we force "open with..." (ipad)

Hello there,

I just bought a My Passport Wireless and tried to open a video with VLC on my ipad using MyCloud app. The thing is I just can’t because the button is just grey and “unclicable”. Is there a way to force this option ? I mean… VLC can actually play this video because I tried to put it in VLC using iTunes and it worked great but the MyCloud App won’t let me do it. I read in the FAQ that if Mycloud app doesn’t allow you to click on the “open with…” button it means that you haven’t the video player on your ipad, but I have at least one… VLC.

any idea anyone ? (maybe next upgrade ?)
Thanks a lot.

hellodracon wrote:

Hello there,

I just bought a My Passport Wireless and tried to open a video with VLC on my ipad using MyCloud app. The thing is I just can’t because the button is just grey and “unclicable”. Is there a way to force this option ? I mean… VLC can actually play this video because I tried to put it in VLC using iTunes and it worked great but the MyCloud App won’t let me do it. I read in the FAQ that if Mycloud app doesn’t allow you to click on the “open with…” button it means that you haven’t the video player on your ipad, but I have at least one… VLC.

any idea anyone ? (maybe next upgrade ?)
Thanks a lot.

I use XBMC/KODI to play my video/photo/music streaming from My Passport Wireless

Could this issue be the problem?

http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Passport-Wireless/Streaming-itunes-DRM-movies-to-safari-on-iPad-not-working-IOS-8/m-p/802651/highlight/true#M69

Hi and thanks for the answer but I don’t think so. I guess the problem comes from MyCloud that doesn’t offer the possibility to click on the “open with” icon at first. I didn’t try it before doing the last upgrade, so I can’t tell if it worked before. The only thing I know is that I can’t click on this button now. Maybe the format of the video ? (.avi) but i doubt it.

Thanks

Hi   jebusx

I don’t this app. It’s on ipad ?  If yes, I could try it I guess.

You have to download the files first.

Nothing happen when I click on it. I just have an icon with a “?”’ on it. It’s like that with most of my videos. Juste a few work.

I just want to force the “open with” because I know VLC will play it. Can’t I use VLC to browse into the wireless HD ?

Thanks !

hellodracon wrote:

Can’t I use VLC to browse into the wireless HD ?

Sure.  Via DLNA.

Thanks I’ll try it. Is there any “how to” that you’d advise ?

Edit : Ok I found something. But still, I guess it would be great if they add a way to force “open with…” (like after a tap&hold on the file) to open any file with any app. Can we submit any idea or something ?
Thanks !