Can WD TV Live Hub play ripped DVDs?

Yes but unfortunately your PC is not identical to the Hub.

My Hub can play Ts and m2ts files fine, but my PC struggles.

I know the Hub should play them (Video TS) but it can be an awkward thing sometimes, some other people will be able to play them and no one knows why ?

Different DVDs are authored different ways.

I’ve not heard many people say that they’ve had problems playing COMMERCIAL DVDs (though some do).

But the ones recorded in Cameras, Video Editting Software, etc, have caused problems.

I’m guessing, based on the name of your directory, that this is a movie you authored yourself.  It may be that the WD just doesn’t understand the DVD structure the software created.

Point taken - but those edits/dvd renders are long gone now.   The original dv avi is gone and anyway I wouldn’y want to re-cut with another editing suite just to get all my old home movies on the Live hub as a Video_Ts.

Still, I’m surprised that WD can’t play a dvd from one of the most popular consumer editing suites in the world (Pinnacle Studio).

I suppose, with my next project, if I didn’t want too many effects and transitions, and it was a simple project, I could cut the video with another piece of software and see what happens (just to prove your assumption).    I bought the box because it, and other users, claimed to play Video_ts, and for me it doesn’t.   I’ve created a whole bunch of iso image files now which do the trick, and as I have moved to HD (avchd) with .mts files I will probably step up to blu-ray and see how it copes.

Not sure how varied a video_ts file structure can actually be.   There must be some ground-rules.

Thanks for the interest and advice.

Ahhh.   Pinnacle Studio.

Search for that here in the community and you’ll see a handful of specific complaints about their DVDs not working.

I’ve used Pinnacle Studio 9 and 12.    Those worked for me on the four or five DVD’s I’ve made, but others HAVE had problems with Pinnacle, specifically.   I also have Pinnacle Studio 14, but I’ve never authored a DVD that I’ve used at home…  Everything I made with 14 I made for other people on hardware DVDs.

Not sure how varied a video_ts file structure can actually be.   There must be some ground-rules.

I’ve you’ve ever looked “under the hood” of a DVD volume, they’re INCREDIBLY complex.   

There are standards of course, but like anything else, they are vague and subject to interpretation.  … and different players will have more or less tollerance for “illegal” structures.

I’m not saying it *IS* Pinnacle’s fault.   It may very well be WD’s issue…  Just narrowing down WHAT the issue is.  :)

Not to turn this into a Pinnacle thread, but I can’t seem to get it to recognize .avi files. It tells me they are error. I wanted to burn a DVD of some disney stuff for my 2 year old grandaughter but I’m guessing I may have to convert them to another type of file.

flhthemi - if you mean Pinnacle Studio, I suggest you try their forum.   Lots of helpful folks with experience of flaky software, and weird codecs, on there to help you.

Tony, once again, hard to argue with what you say.    I have used Studio 9, 10 (Aaaargh!!!), 12 and 14.   My video_ts folders for home movies have come from each, but mostly 12 and 14 (the most stable).   None work here.

Next I’ll try ripping a commercial dvd (not done that before) and see how that goes.   I’ll compare the folders and media info.

Guess I’m just being bloody-minded.

At least I’ve not given up on the WD device.

Thanks again

Just by way of completeness, and perhaps as a way of helping anyone else who has stumbled along as I have, I just re-ripped a Video_ts folder (output from Pinnacle Studio 14 and playable on everything bar the Live hub) to a new video_ts folder.  I copied this to the WD TV Live hub - and it plays perfectly, menus … the lot!

The folder contents appear identical except that one of the .vobs has a 4-byte file size difference.   So it seems that I have a new stage to my workfow, in that when I complete a home movie in Pinnacle Studio 14 and save as a video-ts folder on my desktop PC, I need to run it through DVDShrink and discard the original video_ts.

Now what can I do with all the isos I have created?

Thanks again, from a newbie, to those who have tried to help.

You can use software like “VCD” to unpack the ISOs.

http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html

afficionado wrote:

flhthemi - if you mean Pinnacle Studio, I suggest you try their forum.   Lots of helpful folks with experience of flaky software, and weird codecs, on there to help you.

Well, turns out my whole system was hosed up!! By a virus! So the whole PC was taken down and I reinstalled Winows 7 and Pinnacle and now it’s seeing the .avi files.

But yup, my WD LiveTV Plus and my Hub will not play .iso’s made with Pinnacle 14 or 15! Strange…is it a firmware thing? Does rolling back take care of it? Guess I need to read back through this thread and see… :slight_smile: