Can USB used to transfer data to the Mycloud mirror or is it just for adding extras external drives

Can USB used to transfer data to the Mycloud mirror or is it just for adding extras external drives

Just for adding external drives.

So that means I have to connect my USB drive to my router in Samba mode? I have a full backup of my MBL and want to copy the backup data to the Mirror. I want to manually copy date between folders. 

whsbuss wrote:

So that means I have to connect my USB drive to my router in Samba mode? I have a full backup of my MBL and want to copy the backup data to the Mirror. I want to manually copy date between folders. 

The original poster was basically asking if they could connect the Mirror directly to a computer via USB to transfer data between the mirror and the computer.

I am not too familiar with the MBL product but I believe it does not have an USB port. So not quite clear about the MBL part of your question.

But if you just want to connect an USB drive to the Mirror to copy files manually, you certainly can do that.  But after connecting the USB drive to Mirror, if you then open up the source (USB drive) and destination (Mirror) folders on your laptop/desktop, it’s going to be much slower and will defeat the purpose of connecting the USB drive directly to the Mirror - because when you copy files this way, the data is making a round trip from USB drive to your computer over the network and back to the Mirror also over the network.

The fastest way to do this data transfer is using SSH, if you are comfy with basic Linux/Unix command-line environments. Then you can SSH into the mirror and navigate to the target folder and copy from the source folder on your USB drive - and the data gets copied using the USB interface - it doesn’t make a round trip over the network to your computer but instead goes straight from the USB drive to the Mirror…because you are issuing the copy command on the Mirror itself (as opposed to on your computer) - and copying from the USB drive attached directly to it.

Hope that made sense.

The Mirror has the capability to do direct USB Backups to drives attached to its USB port (the top entry in the backups tab) which will allow copying of a given folder from the USB to the Mirror or vice-versa. That can be used to get the files from one media to the other, and then use a Windows file manager connection to fine-tune it and move the files to where you finally want them. No need for anything to be changed or altered or SSH to be enabled - it’s a built-in function of the firmware and doesn’t go via any computer. I’ve used it to successfully and quickly dump the content of my MyPassport drive onto my Mirror when I first set it up.

If the desire is to directly move files from a computer to/from the Mirror, then the quickest and simplest way is not to connect them via USB, but with the ethernet cable straight to the computers ethernet port (presuming it has one). If you just directly connect them then the Mirror will appear in Windows under the network link as normal.

Thanks for the replies. I am totally familiar with the SSH features that I always used on my MBL to access things. Where in the UI is the feature to copy files from the USB to the Mirror?

whsbuss wrote:

Where in the UI is the feature to copy files from the USB to the Mirror?

• *> * * *
      DarrenHill wrote:

… (the top entry in the backups tab) …

As Darren mentioned, it’s the first entry in Backups tab of the web Dashboard.

Dashboard.png

The bit in the green box is where you set everything up, after giving it a name just above. The direction can either be USB to NAS or NAS to USB. Once created the job appears just underneath (not shown above), and can be started, stopped or deleted from that area. If your USB drive is USB3.0, the transfer rate is decent.

It is a bit limited (it can only do single folders, although it does do sub-folders. But with a bit of preparation and tidying up afterwards it works ok.

Thanks for the UI picture. So I can just copy a full user’s share (top folders) in the USB to the NAS… does the destination folder need to exist?

You can, and I don’t think so respectively (although if it does need to exist you can just use a computer SMB connection to make it).

I’ve used it to initially populate my Mirror from an old backup drive when I first set it up, and also to repopulate some of the stuff to my MyPassport drive that I use for travelling.

DarrenHill wrote:

You can, and I don’t think so respectively (although if it does need to exist you can just use a computer SMB connection to make it).

I’ve used it to initially populate my Mirror from an old backup drive when I first set it up, and also to repopulate some of the stuff to my MyPassport drive that I use for travelling.

Good deal. My plan is to create the user’s share on the Mirror, then on the USB MBL backup, just grab all the files/folders within the backup share and copy to the Mirror. At least I can eliminate the network/computer connection.