Can this work?

Hello. I am considering a WD My Net 900 Router to create a WiFi setup for my media player and storage devices but I am not sure it will work.

My setup:

I have a Micca Speck G2 media player. The player connects to an independently powered USB 3.0 seven port hub. I have two Western Digital 2TB Passport drives that also connect to the USB 3.0 hub.

This works. The Micca Speck G2 player can see both the hard drives and all the content. I can play HDMI content from either drive.

I want to make this setup accessible by Wifi and still have the Speck G2 player connected. Will a My Net 900 router with the USB 3.0 port accomplish this?

There are two things to consider: First, a USB 3.0 hub is not a router The Speck G2 can see both hard drives because it is plugged into the USB B port of the hub. This setup does not work when the Speck G2 is plugged into one of the seven standard USB ports.

Second, there is no operating system in this setup so there is nothing to see a router.

I tried this with a LinkSys router and it didn’t work.

From what I have read the My Net router works differently and is designed for streaming from connected hard drives.

Is there a way to add a router to t his set up to create WiFi access to the hard drives?

Thanks.

Leora C.