Can not use DVD menu

All when you have a movie on you’re media player with a menu on it why can we not use the DVD menu

is it not possible that WD will come with a new firmware that will make this possible. On the most media players you can see and use the DVD menu but not on the WD mediaplayers

Regards

Bert Bakker

Yes, it can NOT do it :frowning:

There are many votes on ‘ideas subject’ … hope it’ll do in futur firmware

Didier

Guys, don’t hold your breath on this one.   DVD navigation requires a fair amount of CPU.   The CPU that handles the Video/Audio decoding is not the same CPU that handles the User Interface.    

Plus, the remote doesn’t have all the buttons you’d need for DVD navigation.  

So, don’t get married to the idea.

I don’t believe that “MOST” media players in this class (meaning ~$100 range) show menus…  

For the remote, up, down, left, right … what else !!! :-/

CPU, I don’t know. Maybe.I suppose you are right …

bauwensd wrote:

For the remote, up, down, left, right … what else !!! :-/

CPU, I don’t know. Maybe.I suppose you are right …

> * * *

+1.  exactly what i was thinking.  it doesn’t have all the buttons a dvd remote has, but to navigate inside a dvd menu, it has all that is needed.

but to add to your “up, down, left, right”, i’ll thow in SELECT/ENTER or OK

I think what you say is not right.

You can use the remote control left, right, up and down.

I als have a A.C.Ryan mini cost 90 euro and plays everyrthing and shows also menu’s

So WD come asap with a new firmware update

You can always H264 encode the DVD files using MKV container with chapter markers.  This at least allows you to junp between chapters in one DVD title set and gives you access to all subtitles and audio tracks all in one MKV file.  I hear that MKV container will end up supporting different title sets within a program.  But for now the MKV capability is more than enough to trump DVD menuing.

CPU it’s not problem. I own a TViX 4100 (Sigma 8623!!! and only 16Mb memory). I own it since 2007 and it plays not only DVD menus but also ISO DVD menus!

TonyPh12345 wrote:

I don’t believe that “MOST” media players in this class (meaning ~$100 range) show menus…  

Actually pretty much ANY other player in the price range (that does not come with a Sigma chip) does playback DVD menus.

Lunar07 wrote:

You can always H264 encode the DVD files using MKV container with chapter markers.

Or you can entirely skip wasting time on encodes and simply remux a DVD to MKV.

so there is no ways to read the DVD menus as long as i’m using WD TV Live Media player??? pain in the butts if i wanna skip some chapters.  lucky i jux bought it n i can return that n get other which can read dvd menus

You were given some alternatives as to how to properly play DVD menus by going through the MKV route.  In addition, it is a great space saver.  A DVD title set saved into a disk can take anywhere between 3 to 5 gb.  Encoded properly into an MKV  would take 1.5 to 2.5 gb tops.  And it allows you to skip chapters and switch between audio tracks and subtitles if any.  All in one file.  It is the sensible thing to do.

I think you can do this right now without using MKV container.

Start with a standard DVD formatted folder Video_TS either streamed to player or on a USB drive or device.  The while playing the movie, simply hit the double arrow key and I believe that will advance to then next chapter.  

No, it won’t work at a USB device – and I’m pretty sure it won’t work over a network share either … The double arrow increases speed, and the barred double arrow moves to next file.

Cocovanna

The WDTV Live does not support chapter advance in either MKV or DVD material. I’ve tried it, until they add Full DVD support.

FreeAgent Theater+ supports DVD Menus.  

WD TV Live have taken soooooo longgggg to support this feature that even VLC has, I was forced to buy FreeAgent Theater+. Works GREAT cannot recommend it more highly. The only problem I have found is that it does not support forced subtitles with 1080p.

It depends on how you define advancing through chapters :wink:

With an MKV that has chapter markers, you use the Chapter Options menu.  And select the chapter you want to switch to.  This is what I meant by supporting chapter switching.  Most of the MKV movies I play with the WD has chapter markers.  If not, I create chapter markers with tools that are available.  I hope you do know about the Chapter Option menu item and that it works with MKV’s (and MP4 when WD gets to fix the issues with MP4s).  Of course, the chapter markers should be embedded within the MKV container.

As to the idea to advance through chapters via a button on the remote - I do not care about that in particular.  I mean, when you want to see a movie the idea is not to flip through chapters like one does with TV channels :)  You sit down and see a movie.  You want to go to a chapter then use the Options menu.

Dude.   VLC has been around a LONG TIME.   VLC is HUGE, and has the advantage of big fat processors and lots of memory to work with.

You’re comparing apples with footballs.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Dude.   VLC has been around a LONG TIME.   VLC is HUGE, and has the advantage of big fat processors and lots of memory to work with.

You’re comparing apples with footballs.

Yup. However your argument of the CPU is not a right one either. Pretty much ALL mediaplayers do have menu support, even the less powerfull (older) Sigma versions. I think WD will add it. Personally I couldn’t care less, you can do everything you need without a menu (changing subs, audio streams, jumping forward etc).

Sure but you can only watch the largest ep of a TV series cause you can’t select the other ones without a menu (DVD format not MKV).

Techflaws wrote:

Sure but you can only watch the largest ep of a TV series cause you can’t select the other ones without a menu (DVD format not MKV).

Hmm … I don’t pllay many DVD’s, so haven’t needed it, but if you really need it, there’s a homebrew plugin for DVD navigation:  http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=248