Can not play Videos in HD from Youtube?

Yesterday I tried one of my favourites HD videos in YouTube (Resolution 720p), and it was impossible to achieve High Resolution quality !! It was showed in low resolution !! I remember two weeks ago watching the same video on HD quality! What is the problem? Anything has changed? I have selected “Always better definition” on Youtube user options but no result…

What I need to do to be able to watch again these videos on High Definition?

BR

Jeshulin

could be the new firmware update, if you can call it that.  perhaps it corrupted something.

Have you installed the new firmware (,24) if so other users have mentioned your problem. Have a look at the other posts.

Such as the one below on the WDTV Live Firmware forum

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/Problem-with-Youtube-HD-Videos-1080p-after-upgrading/td-p/9752

Yes, I upgraded to .24 and  I have also tried the post you mention, it is really nonsense…lots of answers and no one is right. I have spent lot of time testing the theoric solutions, none works. What to say about to reset the device?  It is not done by the same device once is upgraded?  It reminds me to the type of Microsoft solutions “turn off your computer and restart again”: Come on this is not serious!!!

Probably it is another problem from the terms between WD & YouTube, please be honest that WD Live is now unable to play HD videos and say that you are looking for a solution!

BR,

Hi

I have the same problem after upgrade to firmware version 24. Before hd played fine from YouTube, after the upgrade the same movie clips are not in hd anymore

Jeshulin wrote:

Yes, I upgraded to .24 and  I have also tried the post you mention, it is really nonsense…lots of answers and no one is right. I have spent lot of time testing the theoric solutions, none works. What to say about to reset the device?  It is not done by the same device once is upgraded?  It reminds me to the type of Microsoft solutions “turn off your computer and restart again”: Come on this is not serious!!!

Probably it is another problem from the terms between WD & YouTube, please be honest that WD Live is now unable to play HD videos and say that you are looking for a solution!

BR,

I can assure you that resetting is a ‘serious’ solution and so is rebooting a computer. It may not have helped you in this instance but it does help a number of people and is always the first and easiest step to overcome a problem. There is no technical help from WD on this forum so you have to make do with other users input. Your response is hardly likely to endear yourself to the other users who are attempting to help you.

richUK wrote:

I can assure you that resetting is a ‘serious’ solution and so is rebooting a computer.

Not its not, its a lame workaround that doesn’t help anything. Its like going to the doctor and say “It hurts when i breathe” and the doctor says “then don’t breathe”

whattheheck wrote:

richUK wrote:

I can assure you that resetting is a ‘serious’ solution and so is rebooting a computer.

Not its not, its a lame workaround that doesn’t help anything. Its like going to the doctor and say “It hurts when i breathe” and the doctor says “then don’t breathe”

Utter Rot. Resetting and rebooting is nothing like your analogy. If don’t breath you die, if you reset/reboot your unit may come to life and give you years of service. You have nothing to lose.

If you read these forums you will see that a number of problems have been resolved by this method. I am not saying that you should have to do this but if it gets you up and running then it has solved your problem.

What would you advise?

Later

I believe this is you asking for a reboot feature!!

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Ideas/Reboot-feature/idi-p/10200

apparently you do not watch HD content on YouTube.  It’s broken dude.  What a bummer.  I had .17 on my box it was fine.  The picture was awesome. Now with .24, its broken and will not play any HD content.   Piece of ■■■■.  I have this love/hate relationship with this box.  Its soo close to being great and then it pisses me off with stupid stuff like this.   Fix one thing, break another.      At least Hulu seems to work with Playon ok.  I have random issues with my network, but thats not the boxes fault.

Official WD answer:

"Dear Juan,

Thank you for your reply.

I received a reply back from engineering. It appears that YouTube will no longer allow non-browser based players to play HD content. This is accordance with their rules and regulation that we have to adhere to. I apologize but you will not be able to play HD content from YouTube on the WD TV Live.

Sincerely,
Leonard B.
Western Digital Service and Support
http://support.wdc.com

"

richUK wrote:

Utter Rot. Resetting and rebooting is nothing like your analogy.

[bla bla bla rubbish snipped]

Later

I believe this is you asking for a reboot feature!!

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Ideas/Reboot-feature/idi-p/10200

Yes, because we need this WORKAROUND until they fix everything.

JPNARF wrote:

Official WD answer:

"Dear Juan,

Thank you for your reply.

I received a reply back from engineering. It appears that YouTube will no longer allow non-browser based players to play HD content. This is accordance with their rules and regulation that we have to adhere to. I apologize but you will not be able to play HD content from YouTube on the WD TV Live.

Sincerely,
Leonard B.
Western Digital Service and Support
http://support.wdc.com

"

Well, there we have it - thanks for posting it.

“I received a reply back from engineering. It appears that YouTube will no longer allow non-browser based players to play HD content. This is accordance with their rules and regulation that we have to adhere to. I apologize but you will not be able to play HD content from YouTube on the WD TV Live.”

This ■■■■■! No wonder I could not figure out how to get HD viewing while I was in youtube. :angry:

CrazyKobe24 wrote:

“I received a reply back from engineering. It appears that YouTube will no longer allow non-browser based players to play HD content. This is accordance with their rules and regulation that we have to adhere to. I apologize but you will not be able to play HD content from YouTube on the WD TV Live.”

This ■■■■■! No wonder I could not figure out how to get HD viewing while I was in youtube. :angry:

• *> How can you castrate such a feature?> In the past month I’ve read everywhere that the WDTV Live supports YouTube in HD, and now WD simply removes this feature all of a sudden?> No I can use my LG BD390 again instead …> Edit: Sending back the WDTV Live tomorrow … Bye!

I think it’s not WD’s fault in this case. It’s about YouTube’s business model. The browser based version shows ads over and around the video - this is what brings enough money to keep it running free. Another approach would be paying some licence fee upfront when you buy the device, but it’s a cheap unit which - I guess - was not priced to include such paid services.

LazaHu wrote:

I think it’s not WD’s fault in this case. It’s about YouTube’s business model. The browser based version shows ads over and around the video - this is what brings enough money to keep it running free. Another approach would be paying some licence fee upfront when you buy the device, but it’s a cheap unit which - I guess - was not priced to include such paid services.

• *> +1 for LazHu.  Folks who are griping that the .24 FW knocked out their HD YouTubes are sort of like folks who blame their automobile manufacturer when the price of gasoline goes up.  YouTube set the policy, not WD.  Yeah, I’m disappointed that I can’t watch certain YT videos on my WDTV Live, but quite frankly, YouTube is not the reason I got the WDTV Live to begin with.

Is not playing HD content, but at the also 480P is not playet if there is any LOWER… also the Sound quality is very bad…  480P IS NOT HD, so the firmware is broken

I replied in your thread but if you read the previous comments, you’ll see that this is something being forced on WD by YouTube, not a choice that WD has made on its own.

They have committed to paying licensing fees (or at least committed to an advertising spend with Google/YouTube) for the right to provide us with access to the YouTube XL interface that ALL set-top boxes (and consoles) must use.

At least we have some access and, honestly, the quality is just about acceptable on my 42" plasma from regular viewing distance.  Yes, HD would be much better but it’s simply not an option.

I have to agree that it’s much better to have HD videos on WDTV.

I found out there’s a way to preserve my dauther’s favorite songs in HD: add them from my laptop to a playlist. In that way I can still see HD videos. But it’s just a metter of time until Google will remove this feature too.

I think Google will simply ask for little money to HD video in the future. Ok, large bandwidth it’s more cheaper than couple of year ago, but as anybody is asking for HD and adds are not something we like, they have to found a way to get some money for so much bandwidth utilization…

We have to pay somehow: either license for boxes either money directly from us.