Can not longer access mybooklive/UI/#

What is people’s general suggestion for those with this problem and no ssh?

1. Ask for RMA replacement now?

or

1. Wait in case a solutions appears that can fix the drive on our own?

Are they even working on a solution?

Thanks people!

I just bought MBL 2T, connected to network, everything was fine untill I upgraded the firmware.

Now I could not use any more.

I am in Jakarta, Indonesia.

If there is no solution, they should take the firmware upgrade down.

aa

I have the same problem here…

It seems the only solution without an RMA is to open the case, attach it to a linux box, and run an unbricking script (google "unbrick My Book Live script).

But this would void the warranty of my 3 days old MBL.

**bleep**…

Well, before you waste your warranty, have you tried accessing the UI using another browser beside IE, either Firefox or Chrome?   I also heard that if your Windows isn’t fully up to date, then you could experience this.  The recommendation is at least IE 8 fully updated to access the UI on the MBL.

The UI is working for me now. I just happened to try again last night after Time Machine on my MacBook wasn’t able to do a backup so I went and power cycled my MBL and that took care of that problem so just for the heck of it I went to http://mybooklive.local and lo and behold the UI came right up.

Once logged in, there was an update from 3/15 that I went and ahead and downloaded and installed reluctantly but so far so good.

I was able to set up wd2go instead of mionet and it’s great.

Best of luck to everyone else out there.

Add me to the list of WD customers with a bricked MBL.

In my case, I had gone over a month with no issues.  Last night, I went to change the static IP address through the UI and, apparently, an update started.  At the time, I did not know;  I had not initiated an update (to my knowledge) and I later got a message from the UI that the update had completed.  I had also noticed the white LED flashing (I think).  Again, I wasn’t expecting to be in an update mode so I was not very keen with my observations. 

Because I was in the UI trying to change the IP address, I noticed that the change was very slow to be saved.  It took like 10 or 15 minutes.  Later, I also added a DNS and Gateway address and those were also very slow to save.  In fact, I left the UI running overnight and went to bed hoping the save would complete in the morning.   When I awoke, the icon was still “spinning”.  I shut down the UI but when I restarted it, there was nothing.

Is there any connection to adding the DNS address and the bricking?

My UI is bricked. I did not have SSH enabled. I wonder the following:

1. I have opened the case and dd’ed the raided root file systems into files on a Fedora 16 machine.
  2. I used the debrick script to build the swap program.
  3. I used losetup to attach the dd’ed images to /dev/loop[12].
  4. I used swap to adjust the file system information.
  5. I used mdadm as shown in the debrick script to build the software raid.
  6. I mounted the file system in my Fedora system - now I have the file system from the MBL on my Fedora system.

Can I:

1. Enable ssh - this is easy. What other files should I fix?
  2. Unmount the raid.
  3. Use swap again on the loopback devices.
  4. DD the two images to the disk.
  5. Put the disk back in the enclosure and boot.

I think that ought to work, but I’d feel better knowing that someone has done this or some variation.

Thanks!

Larry Rogers

If you dereicked the MBL using the script I thought you used, it’s replaced the entire operating system so whatever was missing and messed up has simply been overwritten, but I guess yoy know that one.  :smiley:

There will be coding faults within the Web UI.  W.D. will have to fix those.

I guess you could adjust cron so the log files files and examine, rotated and cleared more often?

Maybe reconfigure ramlog so it allocates 30Meg as opposed to 20Meg to the log files.

Questions is, W.D. designed the hardware that the MBL operates on so the Linux OS will be pretty well customised for that.

(What would have been cool is if the MBL’s computer was like the rasberry PI.  Use a removable 2GB SD card to hold the operating system? Would be seriously easy to debrick then.)

Firmware Version 02.11.09-053 (4/23/12) has fixed this issue  :)) download and update firmware follow link:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/Firmware-Update-via-SSH/td-p/310064

I updated and it worked :X

Good luck!

I’m extremely annoyed with this situation :manmad:

What if I don’t have SSH enabled? Is there an alternative way of installing this NEW firmware update that may solve the issue… i already updated the firmware on Sunday (22!)

How did you update the firmware without UI and SSH?

Received Replacement MBL. What to do so it won’t get bricked again?

I gave up on researching how to recover my files and just go with the RMA process. Western Digital has just given me a replacement unit. I would like to make sure I set this up properly and avoid getting bricked by getting updates automatically. What should I do first? Is the latest update okay? Or should I keep the current firmware and disable auto update? TIA

I too had the non-existent or incredible slow UI on a firmware upgrade. I have an older unit that upgraded 2 levels to current. I then was unable to get any response when accessing the UI, but drive access was fine. I did not have SSH enabled. I did find that if I kept refreshing against the /UI page as the unit was booting, I was able to get in and set SSH. My window of opportunity was small as the unit booted and intialized. Once I enabled SSH, I was able to get into the unit. I tried most all the suggestions on this site… to no avail. I decided to simply reset the apache server and see what happens. This worked for me! Once I restarted the Apache server, I was able to use the UI just fine. Seems when the unit reboots after intialization, the UI goes away. I then access the unit via putty, execute my “restart” command file ( /etc/init.d/apache2 restart ) and all is well again . Hope this helps someone else!

Thank you for the Apache2 restart idea.

I’ve been just doing a reboot of the MBL to enable my AVR to have/see a connection to the Twonky.  Had been thinking that there was either a problem with the Debian or Apache but never really checked; the MBL will lose the ability to see that the AVR is trying for access the music files.

Probably the problem is with the Twonky’s config of the generic media player; my blu-ray player has no problems but it is seen as an Infusion even if it is a Yamaha.  Probably it is how the MBL/Apache does the listening port for timeouts.

Looks like the forum changed the software to require letters & numbers; my original password had non-numerics & so wasn’t able to logon for a long time!!

WDTony wrote:

Myron,

We shouldn’t have to resort to the options you give. it should work all the time.

And if not it would be kind of nice to have that “second chute” to rely on, so to speak.